Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is your system Vista read? MS to launch website

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://windowsvista.com/getready

The site is not up yet, but is expected to be active on May 22

Vista beta users already have an integrated application to give PCs a performance rating and Microsoft is taking the concept live on the web--this is similar to the way the Windows Game Advisor works, I'd imagine.

http://www.microsoft...or/default.mspx

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
they do have (on the link you posted) a link to the vista advisor beta download...which promptly laughed at my laptop when i suggested i'd like vista ultimate

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hey, that was not there at 12 noon!

At 12 noon, the url took you straight to the old Vista information page, which is not even there anymore, so they updated ahead of schedule.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Bit of a disappointment, if that is all they are going to offer (though it is still early and it is in beta)

I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Performance rating included in Windows Vista, while still in beta with the rest of Windows Vista, it gives a more informative/easy to follow quick reference

rating.PNG

In this system, for example, a performance rating of three (3) means this system can handle Vista and any program with a rating of three. As I understand it, Microsoft's goal is to have games/applications include a number or Windows Rating for consumers.

So, if I want to buy some game called "Kill All The Lawyers" and it has a rating of 4, I can know that my system will not handle it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Laptops will have the most difficult time running Vista -- with the 3D Aero interface enabled. Most laptops with 512MB+ of RAM will probably run Vista just fine without Aero, but they lack the graphics horsepower to run the 3D desktop features. Aero is also a huge battery drain (at least in beta). Some people are getting 2-3 times the battery life just by turning Aero off. I don't need to tell you guys that upgrading the graphics in most laptops is not an option.

Desktops should have a much easier upgrade path to Vista with Aero. Maybe requiring some additional RAM, and possibly a DX9 video card w/64+MB of onboard RAM. Integrated DX9 video platforms will require 1GB of RAM to run Aero.

Vista with Aero is a very nice GUI. I'm not real fond of the non-Aero Vista interface. I speculate they may develop some type of alternative Vista mobile theme for laptops and tablet PCs.