Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Install Driver

• Please log in to reply

pjh

pjh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an old PC running Win98SE (4.10.222A). Intel P4, w/ 512MB RAM.
I have a Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC card that I am trying to install.

Windows recognized the device once and asked for the drivers (which I downloaded from the Realtek site). However, when I point to the location of the .inf file, Windows says that no driver can be found at that location.

I then downloaded the full setup program from the Realtek site, and everything went through OK, but the card is still not recognized by the system. When I go into Device Manager, it shows up as an unknown device with the famous yellow question mark.

Can anyone go back to the Win98 era and remember how I can get this thing to work?

Thanks!

pjh

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try 3rd down with auto installation support

http://www.realtek.c...6&Software=True

You could use device manager to unistall the adapter first and then reboot

pjh

pjh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Already tried that - the installation proceeded as normal, but it still is not recognized (question mark in Device Manager). I have also removed it using Device Manager, re-boot and then point to the location of the driver (after Win98SE recognizes new hardware) and it says no driver can be found.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you sure you got the 98se driver for the card?

pjh

pjh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes. It is the Win98SE driver. What I don't understand is why I point to the INF file, yet when I try to install it Windows says "Cannot locate information for that device."

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Are you sure the card is properly seated in the socket? This is a very common adapter used by many computer makers. Also, there may be a version problem, as it was made in several versions.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
If you haven't already tried removed it using Device Manager again
run driver update via setup.exe in the RTLan_PCI_Install_5641_060519 folder