Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 opening up on boot

• Please log in to reply

fuzzyjon

fuzzyjon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there everyone,

I have a problem with my XP laptop in the sense that once all the icons have appeared on the desktop after bootup, the System32 folder opens up to show its contents.

To get rid of this I simply have to X out of it, but it is quite annoying!

Does anyone have any tips / ideas on how to stop this happening?

Many thanks

Jon

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this usually results from an empty startup entry.

Please download hijackthis from my signature, then save a log, zip it up, then ATTACH IT to your next post.

Please DO NOT POST IT--attach

fuzzyjon

fuzzyjon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there

Thanks for your post.

Here is the zipped version of my Hijackthis.log file.

Best wishes

Jon

Attached Files

Edited by fuzzyjon, 19 May 2006 - 01:36 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What in the name of Harry Houdini....

I can see what is causing your pop up, but you have far bigger issues going on there. You got yourself one freaky log there, friend

I see one obvious malware infection still there, and a whole bunch of entries that don't even make sense. It almost looks like you've got a css stylesheet integrated into your registry.

We do malware in a different forum here so I am referring you to them--if the pop up issue continues, please return here (but they will just clear it in the process of the rest of the cleaning, so you should not have to).

Please go to the malware forum (find the link in my signature) and follow the instructions at the top, then post a log there.

fuzzyjon

fuzzyjon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there!

Oh dear :whistling:

Thanks for your help. I'll go to the Malware forum and check it out like you said.....

Cheers

Jon
:blink:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
honestly, I cannot wait to see what they say on those entries....never seen those before

Kryclm

Kryclm

• Pip
  • 1 posts

honestly, I cannot wait to see what they say on those entries....never seen those before

I'm having the same problem but don't know enough to find the problem in the registry. I've attached my hijackthis log.

Can you help me please?

Thanks!Attached File  hijackthis.zip   2.61KB   64 downloads