Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo messenger 7 and 7.5 crash

• Please log in to reply

keith11

keith11

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am using yahoo messenger 7 currently and I am facing so many annoyances and problems recently. Yahoo messenger (7 as well as 7.5) crashes at different times and by different actions, meaning, it crashes during the day as well as nights, while chatting with a friend in my list, as well as when I try to join a chatroom. It may not crash while joining the same chatroom at some other time. In addition to this, sometimes when I just click on the chat button to go to any chatroom, it crashes too. This is really really so frustrating. It is getting on my nerves. I have tried cleaning my system (windows xp professional sp2) with norton antivirus 2006, ad-aware, spyblaster, etc. and also ran "sfc /scannow" to check if the original windows files were intact or not, but nothing has worked. Please suggest something to get rid of this. Does this problem have anything to do with limewire or bitcomet that are installed in my system? The problem of crashing of yahoo has begun since two weeks or so, and limewire and bitcomet have stayed installed in my system forever. Sometimes, the exe file called "svchost.exe" takes up all the memory and stops the functioning of the system being stuck for some minutes. I am just letting this know to offer as many signs or clues as possible which may have some link to the yahoo messenger problem. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by keith11, 19 May 2006 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
first off limewire has spyware and being a p2p app you probably downloaded questional material. meaing it may contain spyware. svchost is a system process. Need to find out what is calling it that is causing the wierd behavior.

I haven't used the newer versions of yahoo. I use trillian. Yahoo IM could be buggy on your system. I definately have heard of complaints about that since 7 was released.

keith11

keith11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi. I really appreciate you taking time and responding to my query. Not on any technical knowledge base, but based on my experience, I haven't come accross any such problem with yahoo messenger (even when I had version 7 installed), owing to limewire installed in my system. So it makes it more difficult for me to understand if limewire never caused a problem with yahoo mess. 7 (I am using version 7 now) earlier, why would it cause these problems now? I have been using trilian too for emergency purposes, but just for emergency purposes. Of course, liking the UI or in general of either yahoo messenger or trillian is subjective. I prefer yahoo messenger and that's why the intensity with which I see this problem is more for me. You said that it has to be found out what application might be calling svchost.exe. Does it mean I should post a Hijack this log of my system? I am not sure if that's what you meant. I have cleaned my system with the anti-spyware programs, as I mentioned in my earlier post. But the problem persists. I also wanted to know if there was some way to find out if any of my system files was corrupted or not (other than "sfc /scannow"). Until I hear from you...

keith11

keith11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
?...shall i?

Edited by keith11, 01 June 2006 - 01:39 AM.