Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Buttons Tab under Keyboard Properties

• Please log in to reply

Gorgon

Gorgon

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm running Windows XP SP2 and I want to reassign the functions of some of the buttons of my multimedia keyboard. I've done this before, so I didn't expect any problems. When I go Start>Control Panel>Printers and Other Hardware>Keyboard, and I look for the "Buttons" Tab (which I expect to follow the "Speed" and "Hardware" tabs) I find that it's missing.

My computer is an HP 7905, and I know about the MS06-015 update conflict so I installed the latest version from Microsoft, then I installed the latest multimedia keyboard driver, but still no Buttons tab under Keyboard Properties.

Any ideas what may have caused that tab to disappear?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you cleared your start up entries with hijackthis or some other program? The startup utility may be necessary for those options to appear

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

have you cleared your start up entries with hijackthis or some other program? The startup utility may be necessary for those options to appear

I only use HijackThis when I need to do a system scan to post the results. I have never used it to fix any errors. Also, I haven't adjusted my start up entries in a long time. And KBD.exe does load at start up.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try removing your keyboard in device manager, and rebooting...windows will reload the driver on startup

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

try removing your keyboard in device manager, and rebooting...windows will reload the driver on startup

I tried it...the keyboard works like a charm, but the "Buttons" tab is still missing :whistling:

I have a knack for having goofball problems like this with my computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is this the driver?

http://h10025.www1.h...&lang=en&os=228

That is an update only, so I wonder if you need the original driver for your computer, not just the update?

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Is this the driver?

http://h10025.www1.h...&lang=en&os=228

That is an update only, so I wonder if you need the original driver for your computer, not just the update?

Yes, that is the update I downloaded and used after I discovered the tabs were missing. I'll bet you're going to say that the original driver is buried somewhere on the system restore of my computer, aren't you? :whistling: I just love big headaches coming from small problems :blink:

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been vainly trying to troubleshoot this problem myself, and after some hunting around the web I decided to take a look at the main.cpl file.

I've noticed that this file (which is supposed to govern the tabs under the Keyboard and Mouse properties windows :whistling: ) apparently corresponds to the Keyboard Properties dialog box (in as much as it seems to reference the cursor blinkrate and other things) but doesn't have any mention of the Buttons that are missing.

Is it possible that this file somehow became corrupted? Or is that an extreme long shot?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
HP computers give me a headache...they seem to go out of their way to punish their customers for buying their PCs

Go to HP and their tech support. Do an online chat. Tell them your problem. They may be able to put the driver up on a server for you to download

It sounds like the main cpl got overwritten by the default windows main.cpl

marshallphx

marshallphx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HP_Keyboard_Fix.txt

4:00 PM 5/28/2006

Here's the fix for the missing BUTTONS tab on the KEYBOARD PROPERTIES dialogue box for Hewlett-Packard HP Easy Access Keyboard and Mouse. MFG Part #: DM687A#ABA:

1. Go to Start / Add-Remove Programs. Make sure the Show Updates option is selected.
2. Look for SECURITY UPDATE FOR WINDOWS XP #KB908531, probably added to your computer on or after 4-11-06. This is the culprit, not Hewlett-Packard's fault, but Microsoft's for having foisted upon us an incompatible update! :whistling:
3. BEFORE YOU DELETE this update, be sure to now DISCONNECT YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION. If you have cable connection, you can simply disconnect the modem power cord, as I did, with no problem. This is ensure that in case your Windows Update function is set to automatic-without-warning, the update program will NOT detect the deletion and replace it,
4. Now, close all programs and windows as you usually do and log off from your PC.
5. Before restarting your PC, be sure to reconnect your cable modem and wait for it to reset as usual after a power interruption.
6. Restart your PC.
7. Go immediately to the Windows Update options, and be sure to either disable it or select the warn-before-downloading option. If you don't, the deleted trouble-making update may very well reload.
8. Now check: Start / Control Panel / either Printers & Other Hardware, then Keyboard, or Keyboard directly, whichever display, depending on whether you use the graphic or list mode.
9. If you're lucky, when the Keyboard Functions dialogue box displays you'll again see the long-lost BUTTONS tab (obliterated by MS without our knowing it) allowing you to remap the keys. :blink:

I'm tempted to let you all think I'm a heretofore unknown PC-geek-genius now soaring to forum fame. But all the thanks for this goes to a wonderfully talented Hewlett-Packard telephone Help Desk rep (with a delightful East Indian accent, and I'm sorry I didn't get his name) who, while I patiently waited a long time on-hold, actually jumped into the problem and solved it while I waited. His parting advice was DO NOT ACCEPT AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATE DOWNLOADS until you review them and satisfy yourself that you absolutely need them; they may create more problems than they solve, just like this one. I certainly agree!

If you want to contact HP-Help yourself, just quote HP-Help Case #7331022027, and tell them I sent you. Don't hesitate to contact me directly, if you like, about THIS PROBLEM ONLY. And please, no hate mail; I am NOT Bill Gates's grandmother...

Marshall R. Schwartz
Phoenix, AZ
[email protected]

Edited by marshallphx, 30 May 2006 - 02:49 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

HP_Keyboard_Fix.txt

4:00 PM 5/28/2006

Here's the fix for the missing BUTTONS tab on the KEYBOARD PROPERTIES dialogue box for Hewlett-Packard HP Easy Access Keyboard and Mouse. MFG Part #: DM687A#ABA:

1. Go to Start / Add-Remove Programs.
2. Look for SECURITY UPDATE FOR WINDOWS XP #KB908531, probably added to your computer on or about 4-14-06. This is the culprit, not Hewlett-Packard's fault, but Microsoft's for having foisted upon us an incompatible update! :whistling:
3. BEFORE YOU DELETE this update, be sure to now DISCONNECT YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION. If you have cable connection, you can simply disconnect the modem power cord, as I did, with no problem. This is ensure that in case your Windows Update function is set to automatic-without-warning, the update program will detect the deletion and replace it, probably at next bootup or whenever it is scheduled to download updates, and maybe even immediately.
4. Now, close all programs and windows as you usually do and log off from your PC.
5. Before restarting your PC, be sure to reconnect your cable modem and wait for it to reset as usual after a power interruption.
6. Restart your PC.
7. Go immediately to the Windows Update options, and be sure to either disable it or select the warn-before-downloading option. If you don't, the deleted trouble-making update may very well reload.
8. Now check: Start / Control Panel / either Printers & Other Hardware, then Keyboard, or Keyboard directly, whichever display, depending on whether you use the graphic or list mode.
9. If you're lucky, when the Keyboard Functions dialogue box displays you'll again see the long-lost BUTTONS tab (obliterated by MS without our knowing it on 4-14-06) allowing you to remap the keys. :blink:

I'm tempted to let you all think I'm a heretofore unknown PC-geek-genius now soaring to forum fame. But all the thanks for this goes to a wonderfully talented Hewlett-Packard telephone Help Desk rep (with a delightful East Indian accent, and I'm sorry I didn't get his name) who, while I patiently waited a long time on-hold, actually jumped into the problem and solved it while I waited. His parting advice was DO NOT ACCEPT AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATE DOWNLOADS until you review them and satisfy yourself that you absolutely need them; they may create more problems than they solve, just like this one. I certainly agree!

If you want to contact HP-Help yourself, just quote HP-Help Case #7331022027, and tell them I sent you. Don't hesitate to contact me directly, if you like, about THIS PROBLEM ONLY. And please, no hate mail; I am NOT Bill Gates's grandmother...

Marshall R. Schwartz
Phoenix, AZ
[email protected]

Yep! This worked! Thanks!