Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Videos coming blue & green ?

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok I bought a new graphics card ATI Radeon X800XL (AGP) & well now 'some' of my videos are coming in blue & green colour. Not all of them to be honest not most of them even. .wmv files mostly & the ones I try to buffer online using Windows Media Player. Anyone know why this is & how to resolve it ? The .wmv files I have stored on my computer worked fine with my previous graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra).

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using SP2 and .net framework

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Windows XP Home Edition SP2 & well Add/Remove Programs shows Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 & Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install the drivers

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
The video card drivers ? I uninstall the current ones first & then install the new ones right ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you go to ATI then you will see cat uninstaller, download and save the drivers, run cat uninstaller, install the drivers

https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27

Download 2 and also 3 if it applies, the catalyst uninstaller is listed above the downloads

[attachment=8519:attachment]

[attachment=8520:attachment]

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I used catuninstaller & uninstalled the drivers & rebooted the computer as prompted. After the computer had rebooted, I played the video & it worked fine. Then I installed the new drivers, rebooted as prompted & the problem is back.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Were the drivers you had from the software CD which came with the card

If you right click the desktop, click properties, settings, is it set to 32 bit true colour

Does the monitor have a driver

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
No the monitor does not have any drivers. I installed the drivers from the software CD & it's all working fine now. Thanks a lot for the help, really appreciate it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ATI say the cards are configured to work best with the drivers on the supplied software CD so I would not change them now unless you have to

Thank You for letting me know

Advertisements

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
The drivers from the CD seem to be rather old - Feb. 2005. The manufacturer's website (gecube.com NOT ati.com) have a newer driver available for download. Should I switch to those drivers or am I better off staying with the stock drivers. I've heard usually newer drivers result in better performance of the graphics card as well, how far is that true ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ATI have 6.5 drivers you could try, although if it currently runs everything properly that's as much as you need it to do

http://www.filehippo...d_ati_catalyst/

You could take the precaution of setting a restore point

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yeah well you see that's the thing. My games are not exactly running 'smooth' & I had the ATI drivers installed which was the reason my videos were coming blue & green & then like you said I switched to the CD drivers. So should I stick with these even though my games don't seem to work 100% smooth or update to the manufacturer's drivers & take a look.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could download the 6.5 drivers, run disc clean up, disc defragmenter, set a restore point, uninstall the exisiting ones with cat uninstaller, install the 6.5 ones

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I didn't go for the ATI website drivers nor did I go for the manufacturer's website drivers, instead I got the Omega drivers & also did overclock my card a lil bit. The stuttering has reduced a tiny little amount but not huge improvement to be honest.
I had tried the ATI drivers before, installed them exactly the way you had described but those had caused my videos not to display correctly so I decided not to go for them this time. I'm wondering whether its a possibility that the graphics card is damaged & thats why the games not working smooth. The reason im rather confident that the graphics card is not damaged is because games like Cricket 2005, NBA Live 06 work perfectly fine. Though games like Need for Speed Most Wanted, F.E.A.R., Half Life 2 don't.
Possible the graphics card not capable of running them smooth or something ? I contacted ATI support as well, waiting their reply for a solution.