Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD and DVD-RW Drives Completely Disappeared

• Please log in to reply

bigconductor

bigconductor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried to open an '.iso' file using WinAce and when i double clicked on it, a WinAce screen opened up but nothing seemed to be happening I waited awhile and then closed the screen out and then I right clicked on the '.iso' file and extracted it to a folder using WinAce and it worked fine and extracted the file contents to the folder i specified. However, soon after I noticed that both my dvd drive and dvd-rw drives were missing from windows explorer and so I went into 'system devices' menu and the two drives are missing completely from there too, no trace of them anywhere Also there seems to be alot more HID and USB things installed than normal but that might just be my imagination. Regardless, when i bring up Nero burning rom, it too doesn't detected them. Also, fyi, my system restore is turned off so i can't roll-back my system. Later, I restarted my computer and I got a error screen saying that the two drives were missing, so I went into the system bios and made sure that the two ports for the dvd and dvd-rw were turned on, and they were, but they were reading 'empty'. Both the drives have power to them because they can open and close but it is like my system doesn't even recognize them at all or even seem to see them. Please help if you can

Mike

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You can try the CD gone patch: http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=15
If that does not work, here is a possible fix from M$: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553 upper and lower filters, drive not found

bigconductor

bigconductor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The first link led me to a page with no information on it, but the second link led me to a page with a method to try and fix my problem. However after following the steps in the second link, I still could not resolve my problem. In the registry there were no upper and lower data values to be deleted so i was stuck at that. If you could resend the first link about the CD-rom fix i could try that. Thanks for helping me though

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
http://www.geekstogo...wdetails&f_id=8

Try this for the cd gone patch. Looks like maybe the link changed. I just checked and the above works. It is in our "Download File Support" forum.

bigconductor

bigconductor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried the patch and then i rebooted my system but the drives are still non-existant. I think it might have to do with my cd burning program Nero Ultra 6. I can open this program and when i do it doesn't recognize the drives either. However, when i try and uninstall nero, it does not appear on my add remove programs list to be added or removed. So that is making me suspicious. I tried going into the program files to see if there is an uninstall icon, and there is, but when i click on it, a message pops up saying the file is corrupt. I think if i can unistall nero or modify it, that might fix the problem. Maybe not though. Let me know