Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uk to block sick Internet content by 2007

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, one of those "glad they are, worried they are" posts then. I know my opinion so I am happy to find out what you think then.

http://publicaffairs...net/news/?p=497

btw if this is deemed to be political in nature please feel free to remove it.

Edited by fleamailman, 20 May 2006 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im all for stopping the abuse of children but you have to think where does censorship stop in the UK we are pretty good censorship went out with the 50s but once the system is implemented the government could simply decide to block websites that oppose them or a view they hold. If you stop the people that make the images you would go alot further than censoring the internet and by removing the images you could potentially create more violent offenders it would be better to have a bunch of sick internet lurking perves than a bunch of crazed childnappers.

I dont really see the need the UK police is really on top of the problem if you have that stuff they will find out.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I have more or less the opinion as scot here, I would prefer that they monitor the content rather than banning it because I would feel safer when the police know who they are than just stopping them without knowing.

In fact, I am not too worried about a political cencership here because most governments can't even agree on electic plug sizes, let alone a blanket agreement needed to apply something like this.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Only the silly ones cant agree on plug size obviously the 3 pin square plug system is the best.

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have to say i agree that sick internet content, as you put it, is a bad thing, but i dont think this is the way of going about getting rid of it. The ISP's arent the problem, the people actively searching and posting this material are. I think this is just pulling blanklets over peoples eyes, as if people really want to see this then they will find ways around it. There are already filters you can buy for home or office use if you dont want people to see these things, but people find ways around them using anonomous proxies and the like.
You could possibly pull off a cull of offensive material on the internet, but i think it would involve worldwide cooperation, and i dont see that happening before 2007.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I've no worries about internet censorship in the UK going too far. The censorship/content filtering will be based on content that contravenes UK law. What is already banned from being shown/printed in UK magazines or depicted in videos in the UK should also be banned from being viewable on the internet here in the UK. I see nothing wrong with that. The sooner the better. Anything less just makes a mockery of our decency and morality laws. The law needs to catch up with the internet society we now live in - and fast.