Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processors on the new Dells

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Computer Specs:
Dell XPS400 Dimension Video card – Nivdia GeForce 6800
XP-Pro Version 2002 SP2 Sound card – Sigma Tel High Defin.
Pentium ® D CPU 2.80 GHz Audio CODEC
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

E Drive – Sony CD-RW CRX217 E
IDE\CD Rom Sony

F Drive – HL-DT-ST DVD+RW
GWA4164B

This is my new Dell. Have been told on another forum that my processor is one of the cheapest ones that Dell uses and that it is a Pentium Celeron. Not having any problems re the processor but paid quite a bit of money for this PC and just wondering if Dell has done well by me or not.

Can advise? :whistling:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This theme probably belongs in the Off Topic section, but for what it's worth, here's a Google selection of reviews for your PC:

Dell XPS 400 Dimension Reviews

I always like PC World's reviews:

Dell XPS 400 desktop review by PC Magazine

I use a Dell, but it's in Georgia right now and I'm in Mississippi. Here's my specs for comparison:

Dimension E510, Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 w/HT Technology (3.0GHz,800FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks very much for your ideas, and especially the links to Dell info. Appreciated the information I got there very much. Will go to the off topic site and ask my question there. New to this site somewhat so do not know my way around yet too well.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad I could provide some info for you. Possibly, if you could get the attention of a moderator, this thread could be moved where it should be.

Thanks for coming to GTG with your questions.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I could not find the Off Topics forum you suggested so have written to a moderator for help. Will wait for his/her reply.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

I wouldn't worry about it. They'll get to it when they can. It just that double posting same subject is frowned on. Think they send out dead geek ghosts to haunt you or something.

Here's link to both Off Topic sections:

Off Topic

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
:whistling: Thanks so much - haunted enough by my PC let alone by Geek Ghosts! Will wait for their reply to my email so I do not double post in case they might move my post themselves. Not sure how this site operates. Thanks for follow through however.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That pcworld review has got to be one of the worst gaming rig reviews i have ever seen, your CPU is very low end its one of the cheapest and worst on the market but thats what dell use(although they just switched to AMD for some systems which is unfortunatley to late for you). Ive yet to see an XPS system i would be happy to reccomend to someone, there are other companies and other people who do alot better for alot less money, also on the top of the line dell systems you can save well over $1000 building yourself and you would have better parts as well.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Need a little bit more information

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post

There are two Pentium D 2.8ghtz chips, and the information you provided does not tell us which one (Smithfield or Pressler core)