Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card issue?

• Please log in to reply

kbargen

kbargen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, heres the deal. It all started with the fan on my video card going out (Radeon 9800 Pro). It was overheating and stuff and that was my diagnosis. Everyone knows most stock ATI fans suck anyway.. So I order a new Artic Cooling Silencer. I install it correctly and reinstall the graphics card, boot up my machine and wow... lines everywhere on my asus startup screen and xp loading screen. When Windows loads, I see a black line next to my mouse cursor... pretty weird. I try to fix that and when I'm looking at my graphics settings catalyst I notice those weird lines on the 3d preview thing. At this point I turned off my computer, rechecked my install and figured out nothing wrong with my hardware installation. I reboot it and the same thing happens only now I get an OpenGL error whenever I try to run a 3d app. It says I dont have the correct opengl driver.. which I assure you I do... I downloaded the newest ati drivers about a million times trying to get it to work. Yes I uninstalled them correctly from my system before the reinstalls.. I know by now it has to be a hardware issue because of the lines on boot up. The card cant be totally fried if it still gives output right? To fix the cursor line I have to turn down the hardware acceleration a notch. I also get webpage scroll lag and to fix that I have to turn acceleration all the way.

About 4 weeks ago I was watching a DVD (yes movies still work perfectly)... and in the middle of it my computer crashed. I tried to reboot and BAM it told me I had corrupted system files. I've been so pissed off that I waited until now to reformat and I need some serious help. ATI just tells me to send them the card but its out of warranty now that i changed the fan so thats kind of useless. They wont give me any pertinant information on what the problem is. Needless to say im going with nVidia next time, but for now... how about some suggestions from you amazingly smart fellows.

Thanks,
Kyle

Advertisements

kbargen

kbargen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
anyone? please?

kbargen

kbargen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow thanks you guys helped out so much.. I'm amazed at your quick replies and service!!!!............................................................................................................ heres one business ill never recommend to anyone I know.

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
weird vertical lines on bootup screen durring post usually mean the vid card is fried. I had a ti4 several years ago and it started to do that. when i spoke with the manu they replaced it.

EnZo!!!

EnZo!!!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my call of duty wont load it says fatal error and it just wont load it wont let me play call of duty or call of duty uo
can someone plz help me that would be great.

-EnZo

EnZo!!!

EnZo!!!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
this is word for word of what it says, Fatal Error. could not load openGl. Make sure that u have the latest drivers for your video card from the manufacturers web site. and thats it it wont let me open call of duty 1 or call of duty uo if anyone can help me plz do.

-EnZo