Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

20 minutes to boot up?

• Please log in to reply

cbl413

cbl413

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 running Windows XP with a Pentium III. It takes so long for me to simply start up the computer and open a file that I have taken to leaving my computer on 24/7 so I won't have to start it up every time. Even after it is already on, it still takes an inordinate amount of time just to open documents or websites. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has it done this from the start?

Did you clean install XP or upgrade?

cbl413

cbl413

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It has started doing this in the past year, I would say. It originally had XP (not an upgrade). I noticed that I have a lot of processes running in my task manager, but I don't know how to stop them and which ones I shouldn't stop.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The effect of this will be to clear the prefetch data for programmes no longer installed, windows will take longer if it is looking for programmes which do not exist

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, click select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm.

The effect of this will be that all the programmes will still be available but the ones which are disabled will only start when you use them, and will take slightly longer to load

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, then replace the ticks for the firewall, the anti virus and any anti spyware programmes, click apply and reboot.

See if windows loads any quicker

cbl413

cbl413

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm about to reboot, but wanted to add that all of my anti-virus and firewall items seem to be under the Services tab rather than the Start-Up tab. There are about 40 or so items under the Services tab. Should those be there?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
At this point yes, there are two basic types listed in services, Microsoft and non Microsoft, reboot and see how it loads

cbl413

cbl413

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it is running quite a bit faster now. I am still concerned about the number of processes running (as shown on the Task Manager). Should I be?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How many?

cbl413

cbl413

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's a good number actually

Is the System idle figure high? (listed at the bottom of processes)

cbl413

cbl413

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
between 75 and 90 -- sometimes as high as 98

Edited by cbl413, 21 May 2006 - 11:38 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's fine

Looking at the list of processes, most probably have System, Local Service or Network Service, those need to stay, at a push you could right click the ones with your name and click end process but at 29 I would imagine most people are desirous of a similar figure and I would leave them as they are

Optionally you can run through this

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

cbl413

cbl413

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'll try that and see how it goes. Thanks for all of your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well