Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change printer margins?

• Please log in to reply

kr580

kr580

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm trying to print out some standard DVD covers (front/spine/back) but when I print them they come out about 1/2" short on the width. No matter what I do they come out with the same exact margins. I can make the width bigger and it comes out with the same exact margins. I also tried to trick it and tell it I'm using legal size paper (more width) but the same margins come out.

Is there a way I can trick my printer into using the whole page? It's a HP PSC 2210xi All-In-One.

Thanks - Kevin

Advertisements

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
If there's a way I'd still love to hear it but I found a solution for the moment, perhaps forever.

I set it to legal size paper and then taped a ~2" peice of paper on to a normal sheet of paper. This tricks the printer into thinking it's a legal size page and uses the whole thing and leaves about a 1/8" margin on either side, instead of the previous 1/2" or so. The tape I used (packing tape which barely sticks to normal paper) is just on the main sheet for a couple millimeters so it stays on just enough to make it through the printer and comes off real easy afterwards ready to stick to another page. Works pretty well. :blink:

Necessity is the mother of invention. :whistling:

Edited by kr580, 22 May 2006 - 05:45 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you change the paper size on the printer and whatever you are using to copy the image to

Does the printer have a borderless option

Irfanview has stretch to page in print options

http://www.irfanview.com

The plug ins are useful

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I haven't used this in a while due to the fact that I have Nero now but I used to use this free Avery CD/DVD label creator:
http://www.avery.com...ftwarecode=3202

Not sure if it has a function to create DVD case inserts, because I haven't used it for a while, but it's worth a shot, no?

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Did you change the paper size on the printer and whatever you are using to copy the image to

Does the printer have a borderless option

Irfanview has stretch to page in print options

http://www.irfanview.com

The plug ins are useful

The only place I could find to change the paper size is in the 'Page Setup'. When I configure the page in Photoshop (what i'm using) it just uses the normal Page Setup window through XP, not a in-program feature. And my printer doesn't have an option to change the page size, only on through 'Page Setup'.

It does have borderless but it's for some odd shapes such as postcards and index cards. No 8.5x11.

And the Irfanview deal is cool but I don't want to stretch it.

BlackPandemic: I couldn't download that. Said there was some server error.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you are close, you won't notice what Irfanview does

If you click printers and faxes, right click the printer, click printer preferences, paper size should be an option

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

As long as you are close, you won't notice what Irfanview does

If you click printers and faxes, right click the printer, click printer preferences, paper size should be an option

I tried a test with the Irfanview and it came out with the same margins anyway so that's not a fixer.

And yeah, that's the place I've been changing it. There's several ways to get to it.

I guess my taping will work. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have double DVD cases which are 11 by 7.5

In Irfanview, click image then rotate right, does that give you better options

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip