Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spybot tea timer

• Please log in to reply

Angelia

Angelia

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Have a question about tea timer.I've had it disabled since i had to remove some stuff with hijack.I have it turned off cause everytime i turn it on a box comes up that says changes in registry has been made but the buttons on bottom to accept or not accept change are not readable.After clicking button it replace the things i hijacked back on computer.I have Spyguard on computer but would also like the safety of the tea timer to.Don't know what to do.Should i remove all the things in hijack backup would this solve the problems or should i just delete spybot and download it again.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use add / remove to uninstall Spybot, run disc clean up, re-install Spybot

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I too use spybot what are the benefits of tea timer - can it run with A/V software? Any general info on it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I stopped using it the third time it popped up

The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

be informed, when the process tries to start again
automatically kill the process
or generally allow the process to run
There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change.

As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.

Why does Resident TeaTimer terminate the application before asking?

Because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they cost from the first second they've connected. In order to protect you, these have to be terminated before they can connect at all, at the moment they appear.

Why is TeaTimer called TeaTimer?

As we used to forget our tea, when we let it brew, we built a small tool with a system tray icon to remind us. We called this tool "TeaTimer".
When we started to develop the Resident tool for Spybot-S&D, we also needed a system tray icon for this. As we do not like having too many icons in the system tray, we decided to put both tools together and kept the name "TeaTimer".

The next version of the Resident tool will also have the functions of the original "TeaTimer".

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks keith sorry to waste your time - did a google - should have done so before asking.

lewie

lewie

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
To fix the buttons problem, I followed the steps outlined here. It works like a charm and I love the tea timer. So far, nothin's gotten by it!

http://forums.spybot...hread.php?t=122

Good luck!

Lewie