Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best way to Sync data from home to laptop/TabletPC

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
In the past I had a HP 4700 PocketPC that I used on the go but just recently sold it to instead get a Toshiba Protege M400 Tablet PC. The problem with this is in the past I used ActiveSync to sync my data for on the go whether it's files from My Documents, contacts, emails, etc for Outlook as well as Favorites. Now that I have a TabletPC it doesn't seem ActiveSync works with it.
My question, what is the best way to sync my Tablet PC for on the go? I have a home network with a desktop that stores all of my data files. It has Outlook, Favorites, My Documents, Quicken, etc. that I network to while at home. Then when I am on the go I want to be able to take My Documents (which contains Quicken Data), my favorites, outlook data file, etc. so that I can work on files on the go but yet when I am home as well be able to sync the data so that I have a current copy on the go or at home. How can this be done easily? I know I could manually copy files each time I leave and come home but that is very tedious. I saw there is a Windows XP powertoy called Synctoy on Microsoft's site. As well, I have seen that there is a program called Synchronize in the accessories folder on my laptop. Is one of these better or is there another solution that is better? Can Synchronize be downloaded elsewhere? If I'm happy with that I have another laptop I'd like to be able to use that on. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the synconize tool is for syncronizing online and offline data---not really useful here

Unfortunately, there is not a good way to do what you ask. The sync tool power toy can make it easier, but basically, what you need to do is copy everything from one pc to the other

Sorry.