Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

incorrect parameter?

• Please log in to reply

R3AL1Z3

R3AL1Z3

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
i recently had a laptop come into my possesion from a friend who upgraded, and i had my name on it and my own login name, and i stopped using it for a while, then recently picked it up and turned it on, the login screen came up and i put in my pass, and a small box with the words logon message came up, and said exactly this,

"the system cannot log you on due to the following error:

the parameter is incorrect.

Please try again or consult your system operator"

anything i can do to fix this or is it bricked?

Advertisements

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
ok....to help you fix it, we have to know more information about it, this is unclear but, i mya still have a solution. It involves the SAM file, have you heard of it?

R3AL1Z3

R3AL1Z3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i cant even access the file if i wanted to becuase i turn the computer on, get to the login menu type in my password, then it shows that error message

Edited by R3AL1Z3, 22 May 2006 - 08:53 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
boot the system up and press f8 repeatedly during boot...you should get a list of startup options...choose safe mode....now when you get to the screen to pick your user press ctrl alt del (might have to press it twice) you should get a classic logon screen....type administrator for the username and the administrator password for the password (if you don't know this password....try leaving it blank) can you log in that way? if so...create yourself another user and see if you can log in with it

R3AL1Z3

R3AL1Z3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
thanks dsenette, it worked, but now my computer keeps going into hibernate mode, and one time a blue screen popped up saying there is a problem and there was a whole screen of words that said something about it, but i douldnt read it fast enough... anymore help?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.