Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still cant import email

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi folks.

Forgive me for trying again, but I still havent resolved my problems with importing emails to OE. :whistling: Now I wont go through all the details, just a summary.
I reformatted my laptop, and before doin so tried to backup my many email messages/folders. I dont know what I may have done wrong (Ive done this successfully before)but I do know I couldnt locate the "store" folder (discovered from 1 response that some folders were hidden from view, so solved the location problem).

Anyway, I copied them to a thumb drive, and when my laptop was up and running again, created a folder on my desktop and there they are. I cant import them; Ive tried copy and paste, and import email.
Yes they will appear in Outlook Express but they're empty! Whereas in my desktop folder they are all different sizes, and clearly not empty.

Also they seem to be copying themselves! I think it happened when I imported them, suddenly there were 4 or 5 copies of everything. i deleted the copies.

Now, since reformatting, there is some new email in my Outlook Express. I dont want to lose these while trying to rectify the situation.

To cut a long story short, I have all my emails/folders in a folder on my desktop but cant get them into Outlook Espress; can only get their names (files appear empty) I am at my wits end as there are several emails I need.

Again sorry for trying again but Im desperate!

KC

Advertisements

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Ok, an update. I've been at this so long now Im going to keep plugging away, if you have the patience for me!

I cant for the life of me see why I cant import the emails from the folder on the desktop. I thought it was something I did in the original transfer, at the time of the reformat. So I decided to try again from scratch with just ONE email folder. Heres what I did step by step.

1 Found location of Store Folder. Copied location, pasted it into Run.

2 "Cut" a folder with just 1 email message in it; and pasted it into a newly created folder on the desktop(so its in a new store folder)

3 Went into Outlook Express; went to File/Import/Messages/Microsoft Outlook Express 6

4 Selected "Import mail from OE6 store directory"

5 Browsed to location of new "store" folder

6 Clicked Next and got this message

"No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open.Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open"

And thats it. As far as I can see the required files are not open or in use. This is as far as I can get. So it doesnt even import files from my new email.

Theres one other curious thing maybe related;
in Mozilla Firefox, which i use, when I go to read my mail, I click Tools and Read Mail. But it says "Read Mail(13New)" This 13New is there all the time, and only happened since I used OE after the reformat and the attempt to import my emails.

I dont know if any one can help me.....its strange and frustrating!

Many thanks, all,

Kevin