Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Network Issue (Renamed)

• Please log in to reply

Redlazer

Redlazer

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Well, last night my internet decided to stop functioning. Pings to my gateway time out (a slow time out), pings to my ip address (set statically) and to loopback are returned fine. Windows has held my static ip's after reboot. When set to dynamic, it tries to connect to the DHCP server but fails (timeout). Also, i have seen something before. I play with ipconfig all the time, and ive never seen these Teredo Tunneling Adapter things before. What are they? They dont show up on my girlfriends computer (which is on th same network, and connects to the internet just fine), and they also have what seems liek hexadecimal ip addresses, but ive never heard of that before. Also, my Local Area Connection has two IP Address fields in IPconfig, and it is laid out like this: (when set up with static)

Ip Address: 192.168.1.50
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Ip Address:fe00::20f:eaff:fe81:d0b0%4
Default Gateway: (blank)

I filled in the gateway myself in static, but it still didnt show up.

I cannot ping my gateway, but i can ping myself through external IP addy and loopback. Pings to those areas return as "unreachable".

I wanted to reinstall TCP/IP, but that option is not enabled in XP.

Connecting through a 5 port router/switch, with two other computers than can access the internet fine. Running Windows XP Professional Corp ed, SP 2.

IP Scheme is as follows:
IP: 192.168.1.2-253
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS: 192.168.1.254

Phew. Any other info requested i will be happy to provide.

Any feedback whatsoever is handy, thanks to all in advance.

-Red

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
the 2nd ip is IPv6. quoted form http;//www.howtonetowkring.com.

What is IPv6?
Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) is the next generation protocol designed by the IETF to replace the current version Internet Protocol, IP Version 4 ("IPv4").
IPv6 is built into the Windows 2003 and XP. IPv6 is designed to solve many of the problems of the current version of IP (known as IPv4) with regard to address depletion, security, auto-configuration, extensibility, and more. Its use will also expand the capabilities of the Internet to enable a variety of valuable and exciting scenarios, including peer-to-peer and mobile applications.
The 128-bit IPv6 address is separated into eight 16-bit hexadecimal numbers divided by colons (“:”). The preferred format is xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx, for example:
21DA:00D3:0000:2F3B:02AA:00FF:FE28:9C5A
IPv6 representation can be further simplified by removing the leading zeros within each 16-bit block. However, each block must have at least a single digit. With leading zero suppression, the address representation becomes:
21DA:D3:0:2F3B:2AA:FF:FE28:9C5A