Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a slave drive

• Please log in to reply

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
So I'm going to take the harddrive out of my old PC and put it in my new PC. I know that I have to make it a slave drive so that Windows won't boot off of it. But that's really all that I know. How do I set it up as a slave drive?
My goal is to install my old harddrive into my new PC. Then I'm going to copy some old files and stuff onto my new PC. Anyway, I just want to copy some stuff and then erase everything else and use the old drive to store large files such as movies. I just need to know how to make it a slave drive. I've never installed a hard drive before. Is it much harder than installing a video card?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its IDE(long ribbon cables) there should be a set of jumpers on the back above there is usually a little diagram you move the jumper bridge across frm where it is(probably master or cable select) and move it to the slave position and then plug the drive in just as it was before. If its SATA(little thin cables) it should work automatically and be detected as the slave just put it in a sata socket numbered lower than the one your master is in to help out your computer in deceiding which is master and which is slave.

Its an easy job google for it and youll get tonnes of info.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ok thanks. I'll check it out after work. :whistling:

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
It was a success! I still was unsure about the whole jumper thing, but I got it right. Now that I got that figured out, my next step is to build my own PC when I have the money. Thanks for the help. It really was easier than I thought.