Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on Second Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

niteghost

niteghost

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Posted Image

Since I have No knowledge of Hard Drive, and I wish to install another Drive as a the Master, I need advice. The screenshot shown is a Seagate IDE HD 160 GB, wish I want to make it as a Slave.
I want to install a 40 GB as the Master, but I am confuse with all the terminology like IDE, SATA, PATA, and am Not sure what to pick up for the new 40 GIGs Master HD.
Thanks. :whistling: :blink:

Edited by niteghost, 24 May 2006 - 02:11 AM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
depends on
1) your motherboard and what it can support
2) what you want the 40GB hard drive to do as in do you want performance or just regular use

could you please provide the details of your system (make model/specs) and what it will be used for and your budget,
troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
40 gig hard drives are getting diffcicult to find because of the disproportianately high cost for the drives and the usually antiquated nature, not only are large drives often cheaper but they are much faster.

PATA is stupid, its a new name some muppet though it would be a good way to try and switch the names from ATA and IDE to PATA to help distinguish between SATA and ATA, in the end causes more confusion. Looks like your system is IDE although it might have SATA and its not installed youll need to look on the mobo or just check the specs.

You will need to reinstall windows on the new drive as well remember and you might have trouble accessing files on the other drive if its still got its own windows installation.

What i do is partition my hard drive it splits it up so i have one drive but it looks and behaves like its got two a 60Gb for windows and a 120Gb for data which is protected if i need to reinstall windows on that drive. You might want to try this.

niteghost

niteghost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

depends on
1) your motherboard and what it can support
2) what you want the 40GB hard drive to do as in do you want performance or just regular use

could you please provide the details of your system (make model/specs) and what it will be used for and your budget,
troppo

I want the 40 GIGs just to be dedicated as the Primary Active for Windows, just in case of a Crash, all I have to do is Swap this Master 40 Gigs out and replace it and Backup my Recovery Image to it, and I am back in business, still leaving my "old" 160 Gigs with its data.
Here are more Screenshts on my MOBO, Physical storage, chipset. Hope that helps abit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

.Thank U.

Edited by niteghost, 24 May 2006 - 01:25 PM.