Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network setup

• Please log in to reply

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I have two wireless systems connected to a Netgear wireless modem/router.

A Dell laptop (WinXP Pro SP2) using an Intel Wireless 2200BG 54Mbps adapter and an old PC (WinXP Home SP2) using a Netgear wireless USB WG111v2 54 Mbps Adapter (with a Dell printer attached by USB).

The internet works well throughout the system and without problems.

However, after succesfully setting up a home network last week to share files and printers - with both file and printer sharing working well a few days ago - the network has now stopped working, ie: i cannot access files from 1 system to the other nor vice versus, nor print from the Laptop. The printer still works fine from the PC using the cable connection. (NO settings were changed to my knowledge).

Both systems still have the same network name and both systems have different unique names, eg: pc1 on mshome, pc2 on mshome.

I am wondering if Norton Internet Security (N.I.S.) may have something to do with the problem (installed only on the Laptop). Norton Anti Virus 2006 is on the PC. However, I did have some initial setup problems when I first setup the network, which seems to be caused -initally- by N.I.S.

Can you guys please suggest some steps I might try to remedy this situation.

ie: can i delete a current network completely and start again? or do you just have to use the network setup wizard to overwrite any current serttings?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
N.I.S. comes with a firewall...try disabeling the firewall and see if the network comes back alive...if it does...then see if you can find the section within the firewall to allow file and print sharing through it (don't have NIS so i can't tell you where to look)

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi.
I disabled it permanently and rebooted, but still no luck.
Both Windows Firewalls are disabled too.

Thanks. :whistling:

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
this issue is resolved

thread can be closed

thank you

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry for losing track of you there....what was your resolution?