Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Mother board in a Dell Dimension 4400

• Please log in to reply

onelife

onelife

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I found out that my motherboard on my Dell Dimension 4400 is burned out. After contacting dell and spending $149. for a replacement board. I would like to know the steps involve in replacing the motherboard before it arrives. Can any one please walk me through the steps/ I have a dvd player and a cd burner along with a floppy drive and of course a hard drive. Unfortunately the place where i took it to have the motherboard check before ordering a new one disconnected all the the drives so i can't make a diagram before i start where all the cables belong. This will be the fist motherboard that I ever installed and I am a little nervous. I appreciate any help that I can get

Thank you!
Mike

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...they have pretty pictures too

http://www.extremete...d-Page001-34474

:whistling:

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you for your help I greatly appreciate it!
MIKE

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no problem :blink: if you have any questions when you start and they aren't answered in the link I gave you come back and ask...just take your time and it will all go well.. :whistling:

Edited by happyrck, 24 May 2006 - 11:29 AM.

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I appreciate you kindness and helpfulness!
Once again thank you very much!
Mike

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
link to dell replace system board. 4400

http://support.dell....ace.htm#1114089

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you for you help and I want to thank everyone else in advance for their assistance!

Mike :whistling:

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi
Replaced motherboard with a refurbished one from Dell no incident in replacing board. After board was installed and all connection made computer booted up fine but when I try to place a floppy disk in drive and i got message to install diskette no floppy light came on. Check all connection but still got same message everytime i installed diskette. Besides that computer was running fine for about 3hrs (all green led lites) then system powered down. I tried restarting no led lights but power lite was steady green and hard drive was blinking yellow blank monitor(Black). One again checked all connection fans are running but still no activity or led light of beeps. Can this motherboard also be bad? I have a 90 day warranty.

Please let me know what you think?
Thank you,
Mike

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you install the chipset drivers...then video drivers...

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi
The board didn't come with any drivers it was working fine for about 4 hrs then it just powered down. I called Dell and I spoke with one of their tech. He had me do a numbers of things, remove all cards and drives,reinstall cards and drives etc. I still received the same result nothing can hear the fan motors but black monitor and no leds lights on back panel. He told me that the power supply is no good and that I had to replace that also. I told him to forget about and I am sending the motherboard back. It doesn't make sense to me that I have to keep on replacing parts in the same system.

Thank you for all your help and I would like to know what you think of this particular problem ?

Mike

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have a different monitor to be sure it isn't that...I don't think it is but if available its worth a shot...

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Yes I did try another monitor before I contacted Dell and I got the same results. I was just wondering after replacing one part of the system another part can go? I am used of that happening with cars becaused I owned a lot of clunker in my life time but I wasn't aware that that can happen with PC's also.

I apprecitate all your help and insight,
Mike

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you are static safe then no changing out one part does not hurt other components...you might want to check all the power and data cables to be sure every thing is plugged in securely

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Diagnostic Code
Definition
Corrective Action

Power up default.
Make sure that the computer is connected to a known working electrical outlet, and then check whether the front-panel power light on the power button is on or off. If the power light is off, check the power supply. If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in the Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

See "Safety Instructions," and then remove all cards. If the computer still does not start, see "Contacting Dell" in the Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
so after I called Dell they had me perform a number of steps while i was talking to the tech. I had an wrist band on and I made sure that I touch the chassis before i began any work. Like I said before the system was operating fine for 4 hrs and then it just powered down and wouldn't boot again