Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD ROM drive fails to read disks

• Please log in to reply

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
For some reason, my laptop refuses to recognize when I have a disc containing video files in the CD/DVD drive. These disks read and work perfectly on all other computers that I view them on - except this one.

I insert the disc - when I go to My Computer, the D drive displays "Compact Disc" instead of the name of the actual CD. When I attempt to view the drive it tells me to "Please insert a disc into drive D:" - if I hit cancel, it pauses a moment and then tells me "The disk in drive D is not formated. Would you like to format it now? yes/no." Regardless of what I do here, it cancels and goes back to My Computer.

Oddly enough, it seems to view other CDs fine - .psd, .jpg, .mp3, installation discs and DVDs all work well, if slowly.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I won't pretend to know the cause or how to fix your issue DirePenguin but it sounds like something is meddling with your settings. Can you think of any software, freeware or other downloads you installed recently - especially before the problem began. Also are you sure your machine is clean of malware? - something could have fiddled with your registry.

When you say video files - which extensions: .mpeg, .avi, .rmvb, .ogg, .wmv ? All of them?

Is just one .avi file (for example) enough to create the proble. For example a disc with say 10 .mp3 files, 2 .exe and 1 .avi. It still won't work?

Like I said I'm no expert but providing any such leads as might exist may help someone better informed help you.

Digikiwi

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well, this is an office computer, so it's locked down pretty hard. Almost all programs are blocked by the admin from being installed, and I generaly confine my browsing to a small number of trustworthy sites. The discs I'm currently having a problem with are all full of .avi files.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Quote "Well, this is an office computer, so it's locked down pretty hard. Almost all programs are blocked by the admin from being installed"

If you don't have admin privileges that makes it kinda hard doesn't it. To ask the obvious question - would talking to the admin be a first step or would that blow your cover, as in showing that you're watching vids when you should be working :whistling: . It sounds like a windows related issue rather than a hardware problem. I don't believe even the firmware of your optical drive would be so selective. Maybe, in the "unlikely" event that your using .avi files at work is not legit you could find a reason to ask any tech staff with admin rights. If it is legit then that would seemingly be your first port of call anyhow.

sorry I can't be of more assistance.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hmmm... I'd never thought of that. I don't believe they'd do so, this computer is meant to be taken home, so anything I do with it can hardly be considered a waste of work time (especially since the computer belongs to a relative - it's hers). Plus it can play DVDs still. As far as I can tell, the only things that have been locked down are installation programs that either A: use the offical Windows Wizard, or B: Are recent enough to require/check for admin permission. (Example, Starcraft is old, and doesn't use the Wizard, it installs fine. Warcraft 3 is new, doesn't use the wizard, but checks for permission and doesn't install. Photoshop CS uses the wizard, so it won't install.)

Could it be a driver issue?

If I said that it also refused to recognize mice when I plugged them in, would that help?

I did run AdAware, it caught some stuff, the drive still didn't work. :whistling:

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Another reason why I think it's not admin controls... it SOMETIMES works. It just did twice today - but it's completely random. When I removed the CD and put it back in, it couldn't read it.

Also, it couldn't read a standard music CD when I put it in... I can't remember if it's had that problem before.

Mr_M

Mr_M

• Pip
  • 1 posts
There are a few things that I would look at, in regards to your question. I would try burning another CD with the same computer that burnt the CD full of avi's. However this time, burn different files other than avi's. Then you can see if it is the avi's that are creating the problem (which I highly doubt)

If the CD works on another computer, I would take the avi's off the CD to another computer and burn them onto another brand of CD and use different burning software. I have found that using different burning software can change the usability of CDs

The fact that the drive only recognises it SOMETIMES could mean that the laser is on its way out (time to get a new drive) But I wouldn't change it just yet. I would try what I mentioned above

Edited by Mr_M, 29 May 2006 - 10:54 PM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
What kind of laptop is it? How hard is it to remove the CD/DVD drive? On my Toshiba it is very simple.
The reason I ask is this: Does anyone else at your work, or anyone at all have the same laptop model whom you could try swapping the drive with just to see if it is the hardware causing the problem?

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I don't know anyone with the same type of drive off hand. This is a Dell, by the way.

I'll try and get another CD, but I'm getting them from my friend who burns them for me because I have dialup and videos take too long to download, so it could take a while.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have recently read about how each drive's laser burns to a certain depth and that some drives are incompatible with some CDs. Reading may be similarly compromised by a bad match. As MR M suggested already, try using another brand of disk (or a few brands even better). Verbatim seem to come out on top of the pile where it comes to quality, and just one disk to try wouldn't set you back a whole lot of $.

Although in rereading your thread I see

Also, it couldn't read a standard music CD when I put it in... I can't remember if it's had that problem before.

which does point the finger more towards the drive than the media you're putting in. What CAN the drive read without problems? Does it function just fine with applications or games? MP3 files etc?