Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

millertime214

millertime214

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi everyone,
I recently built my own computer. I am running Windows XP Home with SP2. I have had several fairly small problems with Windows since I started that really add up to one big headache. The Windows defragmenter does not work anymore (which I fixed by downloading Diskeeper Lite). The Windows Installer gives me frequent problems. It won't load up so I have to manually start it or it won't install random programs which is very frustrating. Also, I just downloaded the new TitanQuest demo & am now getting a bluescreen error. The screen disappears so quickly that I can't read it, but I noticed that it was something to do with my nVidia drivers (which I just updated). I know that my system specs can handle the game, so I can't figure out the problem. I realize that this is a bunch of things for one topic, but if you could think of any general solutions that might help I would appreciate it.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, I'll let you know what happens soon.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, I saw the blue screen again. I believe that it was mentioning my nVidia drivers and also some strange number like 0x0000008E (if I'm remembering correctly). They're not always the same. Does this help any?

Also, the installer is still not doing what it should.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this the version you have?

http://www.filehippo..._forceware/?951

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I had 84.21. I'll try this and let you know. Strange thing is I got that version from nVidia's website just the other day. I would have thought they'd have the latest version on there.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The new drivers do seem to have helped. The blue screen rarely shows up anymore. The problem is still the other error (the 0x0000008E STOP error). I looked it up on Microsoft's site & they said it could be related to one of two possibilities. One is that it's a memory problem. I ran Memtest86 and found absolutely no errors. The other option is that it is a Windows issue and they've created a Hotfix for it. Problem is that you have to contact them to get it & I can't do that without having to possibly pay $35. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this Hotfix without contacting Microsoft? I mean, how much money does Bill Gates need anyway?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you check, usually hotfixes for errors on their part are free, probably worth asking them