Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee 2006 removal

• Please log in to reply

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello,
I hope I am posting in the correct forum. I have sat here for nearly 5 hours trying to uninstall McAfee 2006 from my computer, as it tends to slow everything down. Well, I have had no luck at all and now the McAfee program has disappeared from my Add/Remove list and there is no way unless I manually go into the registry! I was also receiving "error codes" regarding the Mcafee Privacy Service stating that I need to install it, yet everytime I go to install, it says to uninstall the "newer version that already exists"...but I can't uninstall at all. If there is a simple step-by-step prcoess on how to get this program off my computer, much would be appreciated!

Thank you,
MelloCelloGuy

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this then post the current position with McAfee

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Keith,
Thanks for replying in a timely manner and giving me some instruction. I did everything in your step-by-step instructions utilizing the Tune Up 2006 trial and fixed, I think, many problems it found within the registry, etc. As for McAfee, everything seems to be disabled at the moment, including virusscan but the Spamkiller and Firewall are still "protecting." My real intention was to completely remove the McAfee program and then reinstall a fresh copy onto my computer but, as I said before, there doesn't seem to be any way to remove it, even if I change my mind in the future (no add/remove icon in the add/remove window under control panel). I hope this is what you were looking for in terms of the instructions you gave me. Oh and McAfee does come up properly now- no error codes regarding privacy service. What is my next step Keith?

Thanks for your time!
MCG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, click My Computer, double click local disc C then double click programme files, left click the McAfee folder, click move, move to My Documents

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm and reboot

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have two folders that link to McAfee- one is a folder named McAfee and the other is McAfee.com. I moved the McAfee folder to My Documents and in the process got an error message stating "Cannot move MSK:Srvr- it is being used by another person or program...." I tried disabling Spamkiller but the whole Security Center would freeze and I would have to ctrl-alt-dlt to get out of it. Anyway, let me run prefetch and reboot and I will update you again.

Thanks!
MCG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Unlocker from my signature, install with unlocker assistant option and then reboot, you should have a wand in the taskbar, try to move the folder again, unlocker assistant should start, unlock all then move the folder, or use the drop down menu to move the folder

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I was able to successfully move the folder to My Documents and run Tune Up registry cleaner. My McAfee Security Center now says that Spamkiller is "not installed." The only thing that is still running is the Firewall Plus and of course the Security Center itself.

Thanks,
MCG

When McAfee is finally uninstalled, what virus program would you recommend in its place?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
AVG / Avast

http://www.filehippo...ware/antivirus/

Zone Alarm Free is a good replacement for the firewall, you could download that now so you won't be without a firewall, click download this version

http://www.filehippo...alarm_free/?907

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, remove the ticks for McAfee, click apply and reboot

Is there another McAfee folder, maybe in programme files, common files

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I put Zone Alarm on as my firewall. McAfee now does not appear in the taskbar when Windows reboots. Under start>all programs>McAfee, the only things that are left is the Shredder, Personal Firewall Plus, and Security Center- everything else, so it seems, is gone. Also the System Configuratioon Utility ppped up with a message stating that the message will keep popping up unless I change the startup back to normal or I could check a box stating not to display that message again. Any suggestions? I'll give AVG a try when this is done!

Thanks again,
MCG

Oh and yes, there is another McAfee folder under Program Files names "Mcafee.com" and has 5 folders in it including Agent, MPS, Personal Firewall, Shared and Shredder. I'm assuming this is why those programs listed above are still in my startup?

Edited by mellocelloguy, 26 May 2006 - 04:59 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, leave msconfig as is until you move the other McAfee folder to My Documents then clear the prefetch folder, reboot

You can tick the box for do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

Advertisements

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The icons of Mcafee are changed to the cliche white square with blue line at top now (I hope that makes sense haha). Am I to delete these icons now or is there more registry cleanup? Thanks, so far, for your help. I'm really hoping that McAfee will be totally cleared from my computer. Let me know the final steps!

Thanks much,
MCG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The next bit is to run Tune Up registry clean up then check the registry entries, the first part backs up the current registry, which you should always do before changing anything, be very specific when looking in the registry editor, if you do not see the exact keys mentioned, close the registry editor

Click start then run, type regedit then press enter, click file, click export, check the dot is in all, name the file, this should include the date for easy reference, save it in My Documents

Click the + next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then click the + next to software, look for McAfee, left click it to highlight then press the delete key, confirm, click the minus next to software, then the minus next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Click the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then click the + next to software, look for McAfee, left click to highlight, press the delete key, confirm, click the minus next to software, click the minus next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and close the registry editor

Are the icons which have changed on the desktop? If so, you should be able to right click them and click delete

Reboot and see what you have left

AVG should install now

Create a new folder in My Documents (Registry Back Ups) or whatever, move the green registry file to this folder

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just now ran TuneUp registry cleaner and it found 55 problems- At least 95% of them Mcafee. Am I to click "start cleaning" or are you telling me to go find these registries in the registry and delete them myself? I found about 5 McAfee registy entries in the regedit. I'll keep TuneUp open and not click anything until I get your reply. I will also continue your last steps you gave me.

Thanks,
MCG

*edit* I guess you did mean to edit the registry as I didn't read past your first sentence until after I replied- sorry! Yes, the icons are on my desktop and have now been deleted.

Edited by mellocelloguy, 27 May 2006 - 03:02 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Clean anything Tune Up finds and re-run it until clear

You can close the registry editor while you do this

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I installed AVG Free and did all of its updates. There is no Mcafee in sight except for the folders that are located in My Documents. What should I do with these and is there anything else I should do to be rid of McAfee?

Thanks,
MCG