Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[SOLVED] Display lines

• Please log in to reply

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Got it!

Changed from something ACPI to Standard PC, and uninstalled the patch and the sound and display problems are both gone.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The video and sound drivers, were they found during the XP installation or did you install them seperately? It looks possible to me that you had a not-so-successful installation. I would do the following:

Uninstall in device manager both video and sound drivers and perform a repair installation of XP (you can find a link in my signature about how to do this). The important thing is to perform the repair installation before you run XP again because if the drivers are included in the first installation they will be reinstalled, something that we want to avoid. If the drivers are not included in XP then download and install them from the link provided by Fenor.

Generally speaking: If you need a driver or BIOS update always look for them in the motherboard manufacturer's site and not in the chipset maker. The reason is that the chipmaker often supplies the manufacturer with the source code of the driver and the manufacturer may change it according to his specific needs. I just had a problem with the BIOS of an old computer, and when I approached Phoenix with questions regarding their BIOS they explained to me why they can't help and that I must approach the manufacturer.

Wrote this long letter before noticing that you solved the problem. Congratulations.

Edited by The Skeptic, 27 May 2006 - 11:57 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Got it!

Changed from something ACPI to Standard PC, and uninstalled the patch and the sound and display problems are both gone.

SWEEET!!!! :whistling: Thanks for letting us know too. :blink:

Fenor

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

For those inquiring minds like mine, you can find more info on ACPI by clicking the link. It's main use was within laptops. Another source for info is here:

http://www.acpi.info/

Glad to know the solution to this one. Thanks.

Ron

EOT

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
XP still turns my computer off, although i did notice that standby is not greyed out on the shutdown menu. Thanks for the info!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Turns your computer off or just the monitor? Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL and double-click on POWER OPTIONS and check what the setting is for turning the monitor off, setting it to NEVER if it is set to anything else. Also make sure that turn the setting for turn hard disks off and go into standby mode are both set to NEVER as well.

Fenor

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

XP still turns my computer off, although i did notice that standby is not greyed out on the shutdown menu. Thanks for the info!

I re-read the entire thread and didn't find in your posts anything related to XP that turns your system off. Is that something new? I suggested in post no. 17 a method for reinstallation of your driver. Please try this after you remove all VIA patches etc. If it doesn't help I would recommend a repair installation of XP (instructions in my signature). Before you do a repair please set default values in the bios. If this doesnt help set optimal values in the BIOS.

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry for any confusion! I mean when I click shutdown, XP is able to turn my computer's power off (The link says that ACPI makes this possible), but even though I disabled ACPI, XP is still able to.

For anyone confused, Remember the "It is now safe to turn your computer off." messages in Windows 95...