Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying a clean install of Win98

• Please log in to reply

Toocool

Toocool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well it turns out that your instructions are right on the mark.
While sitting with my Girl watching a movie. I flashed on a virus that had plagued me years ago, The Stealth Boot Virus to be exact.
I jumped up and checked my 98Boot disk and there it was. I had to use the Fdisk /MBR command to clean the hard drive. Reformatted to get a fresh start and Loaded Windows first try :tazz:).
You folks got a good thing here and I thank you

Advertisements

numinbah

numinbah

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
G/Day all, my first post.

It woul;d appear that I have the same problem as Toocool I dont think his problem and mine are fully apreciated.

My problem and I think what he is trying to say is that his CD Drive has disapeared. In my case after reinstalling Win 98 The CD Drives show up in the Bios they show up at boot up but they do not show up in explorer and they do not show up in Device Manager. My purpose in reinstaling Win98 was to upgrade to
Win XP after a new mother board install ( I bought the upgrade it was cheaper) I was previously running a doubtful copy of Win XP I had to instal Win 98 so that I could upgrade.

So there you are.. No CD Drives.. I cannot start the upgrade CD, no drives show and it will not boot its self

Any one got any idears

I know where iv'e been but I havent a clue where Im going..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please start your own thread....it is easier to track....