Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden malware assualt left laptop crippled... help, please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gdvsbp

gdvsbp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First off, I'm running Windows XP SP2, AVG free, Spybot, Adaware, and a few others.

One week ago, I was unexpectedly hit with a load of stuff, and AVG would pop up every few seconds after being logged in for about 5 minutes, until I just had to reboot. I ran the programs listed above, and, in a sort of panic (as I'd not experienced something like this on my computer in the past year) got Prevx, bugoff, ewido, Sandboxie, and Kerio. The computer was still running terribly, and I really couldn't figure out what it was. Apparently I'd become infected with everything at the same time. Anyway, the combination of the slowed computer and all the new security software I put on sort of messed it up, so I uninstalled Prevx and Kerio (Kerio wouldn't function properly, and often ended up actually freezing the system). I used to have ZoneAlarm, but got rid of it once vsmon.exe (I believe) began locking the system down by consuming all the processing power for no reason. I uninstalled it a few months ago, and had since been without a firewall (I apologize...). However, when I went to reinstall ZoneAlarm today, it wouldn't even run properly (it was apparently active, according to task manager, but I had no other indication that it was on aside from that). It locked down IE without explanation, and whenever I tried to load a page in Opera, it either displayed only as HTML or didn't function entirely properly (i.e., wouldn't download programs right, etc.). I tried to uninstall ZoneAlarm again, but I was informed that VSMON.EXE could not be opened, which, aside from preventing its installation, I reckon was also the reason for it not displaying any sort of GUI. I checked the file, and it said it was last modified months ago, around the time when it all should've been uninstalled.

It should also be noted that, just yesterday, I installed a huge load of Windows/Microsoft updates, which I'd been neglecting for some time.

Additionally, I can no longer load in safe mode. I do not know why. I start with F8 and it just asks me which OS I want to load, my only choice of course being XP. I select it, and it continues on loading windows as usual.

Latest AVG scan found nothing. Ewido found 3 infections, which it reportedly took care of.

Here's the HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:27:00 PM, on 5/27/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lithic\HalfMoon\halfmoon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Control.exe
C:\Program Files\YPOPs\YPOPs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\Backup\313\PROGRAMS\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {196B9CB5-4C83-46F7-9B06-9672ECD9D99B} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
O2 - BHO: Sandboxie - {E947A403-B614-4FA8-B9E7-E790F0BDC87E} - C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SandboxieToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Sandboxie - {E947A403-B614-4FA8-B9E7-E790F0BDC87E} - C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SandboxieToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SM1BG] C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HalfMoonAutoStart] C:\Program Files\Lithic\HalfMoon\halfmoon.exe -minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SandboxieControl] C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Control.exe
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: YPOPs.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &WordWeb... - res://C:\WINDOWS\wweb32.dll/lookup.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: Sandboxie Toolbar - {11E506DC-0976-4CDA-BB30-37E60A2F2F46} - C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SandboxieToolbar.dll (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sandboxie - {11E506DC-0976-4CDA-BB30-37E60A2F2F46} - C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SandboxieToolbar.dll (HKCU)
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {54B52E52-8000-4413-BD67-FC7FE24B59F2} (EARTPatchX Class) - http://files.ea.com/...h/v2/EARTPX.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1128282482156
O16 - DPF: {9FC5238F-12C4-454F-B1B5-74599A21DE47} (Webshots Photo Uploader) - http://community.web...otoUploader.CAB
O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.c.../cpcScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: artm_newreg - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Settings\artm_new.dll (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: xdudtt - xdudtt.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

If anybody could help with this, I'd really appreciate it very much. I've had problems before and solved them, but this is absolutely unlike anything I've ever encountered. There was just so much that went wrong so suddently...

Anyway, again, I appreciate any help, and thanks very much for your time.

-Cody

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Boot up with your Windows XP CD and follow the on screen directions to enter the Recovery Console to repair Windows. Select the Windows partition (usually 1) and hit Enter. Enter your password when prompted (XP Home users usually just have a blank password, so just hit Enter if that's the case). Then at the prompt, type in each of the following hitting enter after each line:

attrib <space> -r <space> -s <space> -h <space> c:\boot.ini
del <space> c:\boot.ini
bootcfg <space> /rebuild
fixboot

Notice the <space> in those lines. They are just there to tell you that there is a space there. Do not actually type those in. Once you are done with all that, hit ctrl+alt+del to restart the computer and take out the CD. See if Safe Mode works now.

For the ZoneAlarm problem, make sure no ZoneAlarm processes are running when you try to uninstall it. Close it down completely. Then try uninstalling it. Restart and then reinstall to see if that completes successfully. You must have blocked some process that disallows your browser to go online...thus causing those download problems.

Please print the below instructions or copy them to Notepad.

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode (if you don't know how, go to http://www.bleepingc...showtutorial=61 ). Make sure to close any internet browsers that may still be open.

Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following if they still exist and hit 'Fix Checked' after you checked the last one:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {196B9CB5-4C83-46F7-9B06-9672ECD9D99B} - (no file)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: artm_newreg - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Settings\artm_new.dll (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: xdudtt - xdudtt.dll (file missing)

Restart and run a new HijackThis scan. Save the log file and post it here.

Download HaxFix.EXE http://users.telenet...ools/haxfix.exe and install it. During installation, please check the boxes for 'Create a desktop icon' and 'Launch HaxFix'. When Haxfix starts, a red DOS window will open. Type in 1 and hit Enter to select the first option 'Make logfile'. When the scan is completed, it will open up the haxlog.txt file (located at c:\haxfix.txt). Copy and paste the contents of that file here.

Perform an online scan with Internet Explorer at Panda ActiveScan http://www.pandasoft.../activescan.htm

* Click on 'Scan your PC' button. There should be a popup - if you have a pop-up blocker, make sure it's not blocking it.
* Click 'Check Now' & a pop-up window will appear.
* Enter your Country, State and E-mail Address & click 'Scan Now' - begin downloading Panda's ActiveX controls (8 MB size).
* Begin the scan by selecting My Computer.
* If it finds any malware, it will offer you a report. Ignore any entry it finds (since it wants you to buy the program for removal) as we will address this later.
* Click on see report. Then click Save report.
* Post that log in your next reply.

gdvsbp

gdvsbp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, thanks very much for replying, but I've already reinstalled Windows. Not exactly the best way to go about dealing with things, but what's done is done. Hey, at least I was able to delete the effectively uninstalled ZoneAlarm files once and for all :whistling:

Anyway, thanks again, and do have a pleasant day.