Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

General Question on Hard DRive

• Please log in to reply

niteghost

niteghost

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Have not replaced a Hard drive before, just want to know, does most Desktop PC [ Sony VAIO], usually accomadate 2 drives in general.? I am putting in a 100 GB as the Master and a 400 GB as a Slave.
Yep, my first time to get my hands "dirty: and I am doing a Master and Slave Combo. My primary concern is about the Cooling, Power supply and XP able to "see" the 400 GB Drive. Thanks in advance

Edited by niteghost, 28 May 2006 - 02:39 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pretty much all computers are able to use two drives but most branded computer systems will not have the room inside the case to hold two hard drives. Sometimes you're lucky and they do have the space, but most of them don't.

As to XP - as long as its Service Pack 2, XP can see a 400Gb hard drive. Power Supply - again, most branded systems only put a big enough one in to power what it comes with as standard and not a lot more - I did see a HP machine once that was running a low-end Pentium 4 on a 150w PSU.

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
If the manu-pc doesnt have room for a second drive, you can get some sticky velcro and stick it to the case in a spot that it will fit. I have seen this done before and never saw a heat issue.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The only way to tell is to open the case and take a look. If it has room for anothe hd, great. If not, if it has room for another cd drive you can put it there. You will need to get some hard drive rails to make the fit. These will allow you to mount a 3 1/2 in hd in the 5 1/4 rack. The PSU is another issue. Many off the shelf manufactured PCs have minimal power. Another option is to put that 2nd hd in a USB or firewire enclosure (which ever you have available on your computer). You can get a good USB2 enclosure for around $20.00, with a fan and put the hard drive of your choice in it. Works great.

niteghost

niteghost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

The only way to tell is to open the case and take a look. If it has room for anothe hd, great. If not, if it has room for another cd drive you can put it there. You will need to get some hard drive rails to make the fit. These will allow you to mount a 3 1/2 in hd in the 5 1/4 rack. The PSU is another issue. Many off the shelf manufactured PCs have minimal power. Another option is to put that 2nd hd in a USB or firewire enclosure (which ever you have available on your computer). You can get a good USB2 enclosure for around $20.00, with a fan and put the hard drive of your choice in it. Works great.

U think I can Intall the Master and slave simultaneously or Install the Master first get that going and reintall with the slave later?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

U think I can Intall the Master and slave simultaneously or Install the Master first get that going and reintall with the slave later?

Dont get confusing lol... You can install both harddrives working and operating at the same time. The harddrive with the operating system has to have it on master unless you reformat both harddrives and start over from scratch and then reinstall the os.

niteghost

niteghost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

[i]This Link might help , if U want to take a look whether my PC can house 2 HD or not

http://esupport.sony...79&mdl=PCVRS431

Thanks

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It looks like there should be room. Open the case and take a look. Set the jumper to slave (should tell you right on the hd how to do it). Then install, put it on the same ribbon cable as the master, hook up the power connection and you are done.