Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security Component Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

KimW

KimW

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've been using SkyByBroadband for a while now but, after upgrading my PC get the error message saying there's a problem with DRM. I've followed all the help links and got to the page where I should, supposedly, be able to upgrade my Security Components. However, when I get to that page the 'Upgrade' box is greyed out so I can't click it.

I guess there is some setting within my new PC config that is blocking this, and I've tried going through Manage Add-ons etc, but can't find anything to make this upgrade option available.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Kim

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked the optional software updates at Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

KimW

KimW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Keith, I'll give that a try and post back on how it goes.

KimW

KimW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith, I tried going through Update. It downloaded a whole new lot of security and other features, but nothing specific to my issue. I went back into the Security Components Upgrade site afterwards and the 'Upgrade' button is still greyed out.

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On the updates page, did you also click optionals, one is for DRM

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This may help

http://support.micro...kb/810422/en-us

KimW

KimW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith,

Thanks for the two suggestions. On the first, I went back into the Upgrade Centre and found the options setting you mentioned. On checking that I found the download relating to DRM, downloaded and installed it. Unfortunately it made no difference, the Upgrade button on the Security Components Upgrade page is still greyed out.

On your second suggestion, that was actually the page I was looking at yesterday to try and figure this out myself, so no help there either I'm afraid.

Any more ideas?

Many thanks

Kim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What were the upgrades you mentioned

Is it only with skybybroadband

KimW

KimW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, the upgrade was about as extensive as it comes. I actually got a new PC and swapped my hard drive from the old PC into the new one. Then had to reload XP to get everything back on line. Everything else seems to work OK, just this single problem with the DRM.

I have to say that I'm only having problems with Sky, however, that's the only subscription service I have so I'm not sure anything else would have been affected anyway.

Thanks

Kim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could be worth asking Sky

Advertisements

KimW

KimW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yep, sorry Keith, that was actually the first thing I tried. Sky just said that because it was a Security Component Upgrade issue it was a Microsoft issue and they couldn't help me.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does this apply?

http://support.micro...kb/891664/en-us

KimW

KimW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Keith, yes, terms of a description of the problem that certainly applies. By swapping the whole PC except the disk, I've defintely changed the CPU and motherboard. However, following the instructions on that page (except restoring the original hardware, which isn't an option now) still brought the same Security Component Upgrade page with the Upgrade button greyed out.

Here's a thought on a completely different tack. Is it possible that, somehow, I don't have full Administrator rights on this PC, even though I built it and am the only user? I ask that because as I've going through all these dozens of Help pages and your suggestions, I occasionally have been coming across options/tabs they tell me to click/follow, and I don't see them. If that could be the case I guess that could explain why the Upgrade box is grey, as it would be saying I'm not authorised to perform that operation.

Do you know of any way I can check that?

Many thanks again for your continued help

Kim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC to safe mode, (keep tapping F8 as it boots), choose safe mode, select the administrator account, see if you have more options

KimW

KimW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith,

Through a combination of actions (maybe through using your suggestion of logging on as Administrator), I stumbled across another KB article, 910998, which downloaded another component, which then made the Security Component Upgrade available to me. So, success on the original question and many thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, it still hasn't solved the problem as although I've now successully upgraded my Security Components, SkyByBroadband still thinks there's a problem with my DRM. I've reloaded Media Player 10 many times now and run through the DRM process even more times, still to no avail. I've spoken to Sky 3 times and they think it's still a Microsoft problem.

If there's anything else you can think of, much appreciate any further ideas you may have. I hate giving up on stuff like this, but I'm certainly running out of ideas (although not quite patience yet !)

Many thanks

Kim

Edited by KimW, 29 May 2006 - 07:14 AM.