Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Recommendations For A Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

So, If I buy the 512MB and the graphics card - I would be able to playWOW pretty well?

Im not much of a gamer but I use photoshop, fireworks etc frequently and some low spec games like Black and White 1

After seeing WOW in a game shop I was amazed by it, thats why I need a graphics card :whistling:

ya the x1600pro will be fine and perfect for you.

Advertisements

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Will it still be good in a year or twos time for the use of WOW?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Will it still be good in a year or twos time for the use of WOW?

Yeah if you stick to playing wow for a year or two why would the game requirements get more harsh?

If you play world of warcraft the requirements wont get more demanding... Unless they happen to create a totally new wow with a brand new 3d engine..

For your uses you told me it will last a good year no problems. If you want to play like one of the brand new games coming out by the 3rd or 4th quarter of the year then that card will have problems at them on high settings yes for shure.. example the game crysis from crytek will take high requirements and will be released later this year. Even my video card will have some problems playing crysis on high settings so dont feel bad..

It will be one of the first directx10 games.

Games like wow and such the x1600 will do fine, but remember a video card wont last that fast forever.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Well it should do for WOW.

And there is an expansion coming out for it very shortly but I think the specifications are the same as the original game.

The time is gona come when AGP will be put on the shelf and PCI-E will be the ruler and I will need to buy a new mobo, but for just now im fine :whistling:

What is the difference between DX9 and DX10 ?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

The time is gona come when AGP will be put on the shelf and PCI-E will be the ruler and I will need to buy a new mobo, but for just now im fine cool.gif

Its allready dead some people just havent noticed yet.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Its allready dead some people just havent noticed yet.

Im one of them then :whistling:

But its still OK to use AGP because they still make AGP cards right?

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
AGP is still perfectly fine for games like WoW and The Sims 2 and Doom 3. Just not really new and upcoming games. Like Crysis for example.
Also, yes I'm pretty sure the WoW expansion will have the same requirements. Although Blizzard has stated that sometime in the future WoW will recieve a graphical update. This graphical update won't happen anytime in the near future though. It'll probably be in like 5 years.

http://www.gamespot....tml?sid=6151428

"GS: Will you roll out a graphics upgrade for Windows Vista and DirectX 10?

JK: We know that sometime in WOW's lifetime, we're going to upgrade the graphics engine. We don't know when that will be, but we built the game from the ground up knowing that it's going to be around a long time and needs to be upgradable."

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
That Crysis game looks amazing, i doubt AGP could handle the loading screen on that one :help:

In the future I will most likely buy a new machine that can handle those type of games :blink:

Does anyone that has replied in this topic play WOW - if you do I need to ask you some questions about it :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah i have at least a sembalnce of a life so i dint play WoW. They dont make most new cards in AGP and none of the dx10 will be agp by the sounds of it, dx9 wise agp is limited to the lower end of this generation the high end ones need pci-e but most agp cards are still ok and get the job done, only difficult thing now is stocks of agp arent great so prices are fairly high.