Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial-up connection gone

• Please log in to reply

Mollysmom

Mollysmom

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a weird problem. All of a sudden "my connection" to dial-up disappeared. I've spent hours trying to figure out went wrong. So far, I've tried to go to My computer, manager, services & applications, services, telephony, properties to click START up. Telephony (ok) was ok but remote access connection manager gives me error 193 and remote access auto connection manager service gives an error 1068 dependency. These are located in Services and Applications - properties.

Someone told me to reinstall windows XP, but that scares me without some advice.

My dial-up had been working until Friday morning when it has apparently disappeared. When trying to add a dial-up line ISP using the normal wizard, the "dial-up" option is grayed out. The only option is broadband - which we don't have. We have windows xp home edition with service pack 2.

Please help.

P.S. Modem is working. The computer is a Dell which has modem helper on it. It put the modem through its paces and it is working. Also, in hardware, devices, the modem shows up and indicates it is working o.k. I spent a couple hours with Dell on this (chat) and they think it's software and suggested I reinstall Windows XP. It scares me to do this.

Edited by Mollysmom, 28 May 2006 - 05:36 PM.

Advertisements

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
goto start>controll pannel> phone and modem options> click the modem tab> what modem is listed in the box?
if none, try reinstalling the modem driver. its posibile your modem kicked the bucket and that is why you no longer have the option for dialup useing a modem now.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well you can go to device manager go to start........click my computer.........then properties.........then hardware......device manager..........look for modem.......click on cross.......right click on moden what ever type you have.........click uninstall........ then right click again scan for hardware changes ...........computer will find it.

or you can physically remove it and put it back in and computer will find it .....you do this by opening up computer on the side look where you plug your phone cable revome modem then put it back or even change slots .the computer will notice the change find the hardware and you should be back in business.

after it found and your connected to the internet go back to the device manager .hardware.modem. updte the driver you should ok after that i had same problem

Mollysmom

Mollysmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi - thanks for writing. Reinstalling modem doesn't work. The problem seems to be with the network adaptor. We have Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection installed. It says "Local Area Connection 3 Network Cable Unplugged."

Also, I get error 193: 0xc1 when trying to start Remote Access Connection Manager.

Any ideas?

Mollysmom

Mollysmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have been trying to troubleshoot using Microsoft's support topic "how to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in XP. When I go to My computer, manage, services and applications, services and try to "start" Remote Access Connection Manager, I get error message 193: 0xc1. Also the Remote Access Auto Connections Manager won't start because of dependency on the connection manager. All others such as Remote Procedure Call, Network Connections, Plug and Play, Telephony are in "start" position.

I don't know why this happened all of a sudden. The dial up "connections" item was in the start panel and I could always go to my dial-up connection from there. Suddenly on Friday it was gone and my computer went through something I didn't understand. A bunch of messages came on the screen so fast I could hardly read them. One message was "ckdsk" and something about a volume being dirty. Does this have anything to do with my current problem?

The modem was uninstalled and reinstalled. So were the network adaptors, including Intel Pro/100 VE Network connection -- as I said, it says it's unplugged.

I really need help. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download this to a PC, save it to floppy or CDR then load and install it on the PC which will not connect

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

Mollysmom

Mollysmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for answering. I downloaded the fix, moved it to the Dell computer with the problem, installed it.

It didn't help. Wish it did. Whn I start a new connection and get to the part where we could choose dial-up, broadband, etc. The dial-up part is grayed out.

The Intel PRO/100VE Network Connection is gray, too, with a notation saying local area connection 3 - network cable unplugged.

I don't get it.

Mollysmom

Mollysmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The network connection isn't gray, the message is kind of.