Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive clicks, Dvd drive (not responding)

• Please log in to reply

aznrtx10

aznrtx10

• Pip
  • 2 posts
about 2 months ago my C drive went blank on me just out of the blue..windows refused to start and the works.
and then suddenly like 2 days later it works perfect again.

but ever since that day oddly .... my DVD drive stopped working.

any type of disc i put in there will not autoplay, and the second i load up "my computer" everything would go Not responding. One time a regular music cd worked..then the next day i put it in, the not responding this hapepned again.

so i know my dvd drive works because it is brand new.

and so now in addition my hard drive is beginning to click, BUT its only if i run any type of Games on my computer.

ex. world of warcraft, black & white, but very horrendous on rise of nations.

if i am browsing the internet or just chatting, everything will be fine, but if i run a game, or watch an avi mpeg, things will start freezing up.

yesterday i got some msg about device reconnected
channel 0, something 0 and something else 0

i read up on google about clicks of death, but those cases were happening like normal browsing.. mine is only happening on gaming or visual programs/files.

[7:15pm] <Aznrtx10> -- I am using Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.1 - 2600) on Cable.
[7:15pm] <Aznrtx10> -- My computer is running 1-AMD , 1999MHz (0% Load).
[7:15pm] <Aznrtx10> -- Running with 394/1024MB (38.48%) of memory.
[7:15pm] <Aznrtx10> -- My graphics card is a RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary displaying at 1024x768 32bit 60Hz

other info is bios 7.00t

i have 2 80gig hard drives.
and 1 dvd drive
MSI motherboard

kinda old powersupply (which could be the problem)? but it worked fine until that day!

so yeah if there is any suggestions on what i should do,

Advertisements

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Aznrt, first, I would boot into bios and do an check on all my drives, to see if they have been found. I tried this before and it worked for me. Click each one and manually find it. The graphics seem fine but I would try upting the refresh rate to 75. What PSU are you using. I always reccomend at the least 300 to 580. I play on Joint Ops and use the 580, n its going ok so far. Just a thought, try taking the Graphics card out and cleaning the fan and the Proc heatsink fan, as well. Hope this helps a bit.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Clicks coming a hard drive are usually very bad news and give warning of impending complete death of the drive. Back up NOW.

You can test the drive with the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. It's downloaded in an ISO CD image format. It needs to be burned to a new CD using Roxio, Nero or the free CDBurnerXP Pro.

To run it make sure your BIOS is set to try to boot from the optical drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive, Load the CD and restart - it will boot off the CD and start running. Check the SMART status - a bad status is a record of failed attempts tu use the drive. Then, run the complete drive analysis.

Be prepared to shop for a new hard drive soon.

aznrtx10

aznrtx10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i actually found out the problem XD

since it was only happening when i was playing games, i figured it just couldn't be my hard drives failing or something.

so i noticed my dvd wouldn't analyze too well either so i actually found out i still had a 150watt power supply in there and it finally almost died..just hung on by a thread i went to go buy a 500 watt power supply and everything works perfect with no clicking now XD

i hope this helps everybody out with the same prob

but yes thank you for the advice guys, and i will definetly test out the fitness drive to check the status of my hdds