Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've Lost All Of My Files

• Please log in to reply

Pure_Innocences

Pure_Innocences

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer got stuck and then completely shut down, it then wouldn't restart again without the screen going completely black.
so i left the computer for an hour and try to restart it and it did but some how reboot the computer.
How i can't find any of my file, i've tried looking for them and there back ups but i cant find them anyways.
can anyone help, i've lost lots of coursework.
Please help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Pure_Innocences...

Have you tried a System Restore to a time before the problem began?

wannabe1

Pure_Innocences

Pure_Innocences

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't exactly know how.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, point to "All Programs", then to "Accessories", then to "System Tools", and choose "System Restore".

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

On the Select a Restore Point page, click a bold date on the calendar to the left...go back to a time before the problem began, and then click "Next". A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click "Ok".
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click "Next". System Restore will restore the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restart the computer.

When the System Restore Restoration Complete page appears...Click "Ok".

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Pure_Innocences

Pure_Innocences

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks but can't seem to be able to pick any other date then the 29th of may, i need to go back to the 27th.
but thanks for the advise

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you remember the name of one of your documents, do a search for it using the Windows Search feature. When (if) the document is found, righ click on it in the Search Results window and choose "Open folder containing". See if you can then copy the files to a new folder.

(Make sure to set the search options to search "Hidden files and folders").