Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Download Video Or Rar Files

• Please log in to reply

The G

The G

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey Guys,

Now I dont think this is a virus or anything because I can still download Images and that but for some reason I cant download Video files or Rar files it just download like 1kb then says its done, (thats in firefox) I try it in Avant Browser and its says this file can not be found or something on those lines, anyone any ideas ?

EDIT - It appers to be only Rar files i'am having the problem with, maybe a setting changed itself.

Edited by The G, 29 May 2006 - 09:25 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What happens when you use IE?

Johanna

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
IE aint worked for ages for me since I downloaded that rubbish ''Free Download Manager'' of course I dont have that now though.

Thats why I have ''Avant Browser'' as it use the IE engine, so its a pretty cool browser, but anyway I really cant understand why I can download everything else as normal but not Rar files.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If IE isn't working, something is probably wrong with your whole OS, because IE is an integral part of Windows, even if you choose to use another browser. I think I would fix IE, then deal with the other issues. A System File Check with your XP cd would be the first step, perhaps even a repair of IE or of XP is in order. Before you go any further, though, let's be sure you aren't having a malware problem.
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

I seldom see rar files available for download. Usually they are zip files. If you have WinRar then you might want to check your file associations in Windows Explorer (if that works) and try using the XP default for zipped files. If that works, then WinRar might be the problem- either corrupted or not compatible with other system configs or software.

Johanna

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thx for the reply, I will run some tests tommorow. I just use the normal right click and ''Save As'' or in Firefox ''Save Link As'' but they just wont download I really dont get it I use Extract Now to unextract anyway so cant be WinRar as I dont have it. I have tried to fix IE before, I made a thread ages ago

- http://www.geekstogo...topic=87486&hl=
- http://www.geekstogo...topic=88483&hl=

And plus my XP was built in when I got it, i'am afraid, so dont have discs. Could I still repair it though. Everything else works fine on my PC just that stupid download manager messed IE up it just wont load anything up, it happed to a mate of mine aswell stay clear of that one, the downlaod manager that is.

So anyway I will do a full check with everything tommorow then post a Hijack This Log and I will get back to you with the results, not unless your the one checking them :whistling:

If you could also help me fix my IE problem aswell that would be awesome.

EDIT - If I click on a .Rar file on somesites not right click but just left click it will load up and ask me where to save as normal but if I right click it wont save weird. Anyway will let ya know how it goes after scans and HiJack This logs been checked over.

Edited by The G, 30 May 2006 - 06:14 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

I use Extract Now to unextract anyway so cant be WinRar as I dont have it.

You need to check your file associations. My Computer will open Windows Explorer- at the top toolbar Tools> Options> File Types and you can repair associations.

To correct this, right click on any .zip file|Open With|highlight a program that opens zip files (like WinZip, WinRAR or 7-zip)|check the box at the bottom "Always use the selected program..."|OK. That should reassociate Zip files with a program that can open them.

~~ from my notes from my friend WelshJim

Repairing IE

http://www.helpwithw...P/howto-03.html

Since you don't have a disk, see if you can borrow one of the same flavor.

Johanna

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I've checked File Types and RAR does not seem to be there at all so I put in .Rar and went to see if I could download a .Rar file but its still the same it says the file name of whatever i'am downloading but where it says ''Save File Type As'' its blank :blink: . Infact I cant even apply changes after adding .Rar.

Thx for all the help so far :whistling:

EDIT- I think I may be on to something I've just noticed something that the ''Save File Type As'' as always been blank, so on another site I clicked on a .Rar file and guess what ?, it Started downloading as normal. I would of known this beofre if I'd noticed it was blank before then I would of clicked ''Save'' instead of noticing it blank and thinking it was not gonna work on this site either. So all in all to wrap it up it appers its the site I first went to which is not working right.

So really nothing wrong my end it was them all a long, thx for all the help you've given me.

EDIT - It appers others can download from the site but just me, is there anything which may be stopping me form downloading from a site ?, it sometimes has an habit of not working right though someone said it was messing up for 3 whole days one so that might be happing with me but other people can still download there today but me.

Edited by The G, 31 May 2006 - 07:04 AM.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I guess it wassn't just one site I went to download an MPEG of another site it said MPG to download as it should but then it said it was downloaded but it was not. This is really doing my head in now first .Rar and now MPEG whats going on, I guess I'll have to do a full scan now.

It seems to be working now after a million refreshs and I just reinstalled Advant but anyway I 'am gonna do all the scans for virus's and Adware later on.

Edited by The G, 01 June 2006 - 08:42 AM.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I've done all the scans and yet nothing it keeps doing it when it feels like it I go to download of Easyshare and it wont download I want to know what the hells going on. It starting to do my head in now :whistling:

Edited by The G, 03 June 2006 - 06:50 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Why don't you try writing out exactly what happens when you try to download something, and what you've done to correct it. Go here and grab a song:
http://www.johannank...t/downloads.htm
and if you get an error message, please tell us precisely what it says.

Johanna

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Right it dont always do it on all sites but this one dont work,

- http://www.easy-shar...m/479554/Triple H - Game On.wmv.html

I have just uploaded that file and when I right click in ''FireFox'' to download it downloads ok but takes under half a second to download it dont do it right it only downloads 1kb of the file.

In ''Avant Browser'' it says,

Posted Image

Which is so wrong, because I just uploaded it :blink:

I've posted my log too,

- http://www.geekstogo...ad-t115337.html

:whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Make sure your Javascript is enabled. The link you provided is full of cookies and adware- perhaps it is being legitimately blocked by your security software.

http://www.javatester.org/version.html
That will tell you what version of Java you have, and if it is working properly.

Johanna