Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ORACLE 8i Installation in XP PRO

• Please log in to reply

postvikram

postvikram

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello friends,

I have a problem. I have been trying to install Oracle 8i in my desktop (WinXP Pro). I have tried copying the CD to the HDD and also renaming the Symjit.dll also.
The Installation proceeds normal at the start, but after I give the installation path,and choose options (Typical/custom) , the installation screen dissappears after I press "Next" and nothing happens.

Please let me know how to accomplish this installation.
Thanks in advance for your valuable feedback.

Best regards
Vikram

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has it installed any files to the hard drive

postvikram

postvikram

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes , It installed the ORACLE folder - Oracle in C:\Program files.
Every time I retried the installation, I kept removing the folder and any other Oracle folders in the drives except the Installation dump.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Move any Oracle folder from programme files to My Documents, look in common files as well

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

Install the Oracle software

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

postvikram

postvikram

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Keith for your detailed support,
I will try this today . Im away from my Desktop right now. I will be able to let you know what happened only tomorrow. Hope this is fine.
Best regards
Vikram

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

If any files are reluctant to move, get Unlocker from my signature, install with the unlocker assistant option, reboot, you should have a wand in the taskbar, when you go to move / delete a file which ordinarily gives access denied / in use errors, unlocker assistant will start with either the option to unlock all, or you will have the drop down menu with further options

If you use custom install you can add unlocker to the send to menu

postvikram

postvikram

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Great, Thanks.
This is so interesting. :whistling:

postvikram

postvikram

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again Keith, Im sorry I took so long in getting back on this topic.
I tried whatever you listed and I still cant install Oracle in my PC.
Is there anything more I should do?

Please let me know.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the installer freeze or disappear

postvikram

postvikram

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, actually the installer did not Freeze or dissapear.
It stays there and the mouse pointer changes to Hourglass. I left the PC for around half hour or more to see if anything happens. The whole thing stayed as it is. (The installer was still in the screen where there are radio buttons for choosing Typical,,minimal,Custom...)

I was able to access other programs and folders during this time and when I clicked cancel in the installer it disspeared - meaning, the installer was active.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you load the CD but click cancel when it goes toi auto ru, click start, click my computer, right click the drive witht e CD, click explore, find the set up file, right click it, click properties, compatibility, tick turn off advanced text services, click aplly, double click the set up file