Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to "F disk" and install XP Home

• Please log in to reply

sharongriffing

sharongriffing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My son has asked me to "F disk" his computer and install XP Home. He has Dell P4 2.4 gig. A "friend" installed an unauthorized copy of XP Pro. Of course, many hang-ups and problems. Not to say it is illegal. He wants to start anew with XP Home.

How do I start? I do not want him messing up my computer. But I will get instructions using it and give him the steps.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will remove all existing data and programmes

You can use this guide to re-install, at fig 6 you would press D to delete, type L to confirm then press enter, use the default NTFS format not quick

Once Microsoft is convinced you've agreed to the EULA and qualify to install, the screen in Figure 06 appears where you choose a drive and partition on which to install XP. For those familiar with prior Windows operating systems, this section of setup is equivalent to FDISK when a clean install is being performed.

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

@DaRtH@

@DaRtH@

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[font=Verdana][size=7]

Keith has given a very good solution... :whistling: However, I would like to add few more thing... U should change the "Boot Sequence" from the system setup screen by tapping F2 on the blue Dell Splash screen that appears first to IDE CDROM Device and then u need to restart the system... The system would boot up with CD ROM device... Now on the first screen that appears u need to hit "ENTER"... The second screen that appears will be the Licence Agreement screen.... on this screen u need to tap in the F8 key.... On the third screen u need to tap "ESC" button and rest is all done by the CD itself..... This is what the clean WINDOWS XP HOME or PRO installational is.... Lastly before coming to the screen the all u need to give is the details of ur's account that u need to create and the time zone and minor details.... :help:

I think this will help help u with the Keith's recomendation for clean reinstall.... The last thing that I need to add up is that the procedure described is specallized for "DELL PC DESKTOPS AND LAPTOPS"... One more thing is that before u insert the OS CD u need to nopt down the CD KEY or the PRODUCT KEY that would be mentioned on the top of the pack or the CD itself...

I hope u will n-joy the CLEAN INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS XP HOME OR PRO..... :blink: