Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports seem to be dead.

• Please log in to reply

djk1289

djk1289

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Toshiba SP10-804 running Windows XP with SP2. After a recent power failure my USB ports have stopped working, when ever I connect a device nothing happens. I have tried different devices and the only luck I have had is that the light on my MP3 player came on so there must be power coming from the ports. I have tried uninstalling my USB ports and letting windows detect and install them and I have tried reinstalling them using the system disk I got with the laptop and nothing has changed. I have searched for solutions but unfortunatley not found any. Can you please help I am very confused :whistling:

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I am having a similar issue. You may have read this thread already:

http://www.geekstogo...9159&hl=working

If you haven't, try some of the fixes in there. That said I'm still searching for a solution, and will be sure to post it.

One immediate solution that gives you USB connectivity would be a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card if you have a free slot, but that does mean forking out some $.

The Geekstogo USB Guru, Jack123, is currently too busy with stuff to attend to this forum but search for some of his posts and you might find something that applies. Let's hope he finds some time for the forum again in the near future.

Good luck and post if you find a solution. :whistling:

Digikiwi

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this

Run regedit

Do you have this key and is the startup mode set to 3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

Do you have any devices listed under this key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR

Run services.msc .....is the Plug and Play service present, started, and set to 'automatic' startup?

Open Folder Options ....View and ensure "show hidden files" is enabled. Navigate to C:\windows\INF

Do you have "usbstor.inf" there? Right click on it and select "install". There will be no prompts or confirmations.

Reboot and try attaching a USB storage device. Do you get any detection sound?