Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME won't allow program access!

• Please log in to reply

DoubleA1187

DoubleA1187

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is really begining to make me angry. I got my computer back yesterday form being refurbished. It previously had Windows 98 on it. It crashed last last year, so I sent it to a friend to be rebuilt. He put a new harddrive, mother board, more memory, the works. I get it back last night. So I try to load AOL 9.0 LE on it. It loads fine, I restart like it ask, then log back into ME, and I try to open AOL. It brings up an error message "that it has encountered an error, please restart AOL." I do so, and the same message comes back. Then I tried to load my MP3 player on it, it gives me a message about it needs the "Windows ME Edition" disk to load this file. What should I do????????

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I can't speak to AOL or the mp3 player, but here is an opinion on Windows versions based on personal experience. Win98 SE is the most stable version of the following group: win95, win98, win98 SE, ME, and win2000. If you have a choice between win98 SE and ME and you were happy with win98 in the past, then consider using win98 SE(SE is for the 2nd edition, and is not the same as win98).

There may still be issues with AOL and the mp3 player with win98 SE also, and I'll defer to those who have experience in those areas.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
It needs the ME disk to copy some files to your hard drive
not all files are copied when you install windows does not matter
if it is 98 ME or 2000. Pop the disc in and it will be fine
As for AOL i have never used it You will have to go online and contact them
Cheers
Peterm