Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC worked for a month....

• Please log in to reply

surfnsound

surfnsound

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After a month or two of frustration I finaly realized that the power supply I had bought was bad, and once I got that taken care of the computer I was building was up and running. I had it going pretty good for about a month or so, and then one day it just shut down completely; I was in the room on the computer, left for 5 minutes, and came back and it was off. When I try turning it back on now, I get lights and fans for about a half a second before it stops. Nothing happens unless I unplug the computer, then plug it back in, then the same thing happens. I've already taken apart the whole system and put it back together, checking for a short between the case and the motherboard, which I've had happen before. I'm pretty sure my processor isn't fried because my case has a feature that it beeps when the internal temperature reaches a certain point.
I suppose it could be the power supply again, but the fact that I get any fans at all makes me wonder. Basically I'm just out of ideas as to what to try next, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It does sound like the psu, when you unplug it it resets and then you get that 1/2 second power on and it trips again. Remove the psu from the computer plug into the wall outlet then short the green and any black wirer with a paper clip on the 20 pin connecter that goes to the mobo. This should turn the psu on if not then its bad.

If it does turn on use a digital volt meter and check the yellow and any black wirer it should read 12v but could be plus or minus 5% and still be within spec.

Then check the red it should be 5v + or - 5%

Then check orange it should be 3.3 + or - 5%

If any of these voltages are not to spec replace the psu.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other thought check the clear cmos jumper if it is loose or has somehow fallen off the computer will behave like that.

If you have another jumper replace it I had one go bad or was loose or something inside and the computer did the same thing till I replaced it.

Rick