Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Svchost.exe application error

• Please log in to reply

Sicaris

Sicaris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The programs are installed, between uninstalling Norton and installing the new programs tthe error did not occur, however now that they are installed the error has returned.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sicaris...

The next time you get the error, note the time. Then go to the Event Viewer (Start > Run > type eventvwr.msc > press "Enter"), look under "Applications", and see if there is an error there that immediately precedes the SvcHost error. Post that error information here for us.

wannabe1

Sicaris

Sicaris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Interestingly the svchodt error information is exactly the same as that for the other aplication. The log for the svchost error lists it as the aplication but the other has no program listed, the rest of the information is:

Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please download WinAudit, install it, and run it. Generate a report using the default settings and save it to your desktop. This will generate 3 files. Right click on the file "rightframe.html", point to "Send to", and select "Compressed (zip) folder". Then attach the zipped report to an e-mail to me...I'll PM you with my e-mail address.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ScvHost errors are almost as much fun as IRQL errors... :whistling:

I think I've got it narrowed down a bit. The SvcHost error occurs at the same time that the ipnathlp.dll tries to load and fails.

Open Control Panel and double click on the "Network Connections" icon. Right click on your connection and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, remove the tick from the box next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection", and click "Ok". (Let me know what you find here.)

There is also an application error that occurs at the same time. The AOL Spyware Protection Service service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified. If you use AOL, you may want to uninstall and reinstall the application or contact AOL support.

Sicaris

Sicaris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I connect to the internet via a wireles router, so there is no section on the advanced tab to stop allowing other computers accessing the net via this computer. The ethernet adapter which is disabled and ntohing is connected to does have this option and I unchecked it. AOL came preinstalled on the computer and I hardly ever use it so I have unistalled it totally. Unfortunately the error is still occuring.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Hopefully the AOL uninstalled properly. It can be a bugger to get off the machine.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Services, and click on NetBT. In the right pane, what is the value (under the Data column) listed for "Start"?

Sicaris

Sicaris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The value is 0x00000001

organiclifeforms

organiclifeforms

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i thought I'd better add this to this list because i had the same problem but then found out what caused the error. It was the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service. I disabled it and now i don't get this error anymore. I hope this helps. The service is part of windows media player 11 !

Edited by organiclifeforms, 10 October 2006 - 03:20 AM.