Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating Syystem not starting up

• Please log in to reply

jf3489

jf3489

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer is doing a really wierd thing. It was operating fine and just turned off as if someone had pulled the plug on it. When I attempted to restart, it powered up normal until after the XP screen showed up. The XP screen sat there for about 10 seconds and then it reverted right back to the manufactures logo on the screen. If I let it go it continues in this loop. I tried to start it in safe mode and basically got the same thing. There was a short scan, something about deleting bad sectors and then it freezes. Any ideas???

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You have a bad spot on the harddrive, possible irrepairable.

You need to boot with your windows disk into the recovery console. When you get to the prompt, type

chkdsk /r
<enter>

take a walk, this will take some time

You can try running it two times. If windows can recover the operating system, that will do it. If not, your data may still be there and can be recovered in a couple of ways, the easiest being is placing the drive in a second computer

jf3489

jf3489

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, so I assume that if after runing this twice and the result is not different, the hard drive is junk? By doing this I am not going to lose any data that I have stored right? Also is it possible to run the recovery disc without erasing data added after I purchased the computer. I am mostly concerned with a bunch of family pictures on the hard drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Thanks, so I assume that if after runing this twice and the result is not different, the hard drive is junk? By doing this I am not going to lose any data that I have stored right? Also is it possible to run the recovery disc without erasing data added after I purchased the computer. I am mostly concerned with a bunch of family pictures on the hard drive.

To clarify, not necessarily junk--it means that your OS installation is junk, but not your drive. Some part of your drive may be corrupt, or your file system was trashed, but a reinstallation could totally revive the drive

Running a chkdsk /r will not damage any data that is not already damaged

Running a recovery disk from your pc maker MAY wipe out your os....using the recovery console is safe...these are very different things

As noted, the best way to recovery that data is to drop the drive in a second system, or barring that, in a drive encosure that hooks up to the other PC via a usb or firewire port

jf3489

jf3489

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I try the chkdsk /r thing, it says invalid switch - /r

what does this mean

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hi jf. not sure if this'll help you any or not but this site helps on explaining some of the symbols n letters in the chkdsk cmd... http://www.microsoft...k.mspx?mfr=true

jf3489

jf3489

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Unfortunately I am a novice looking for help. WHat command should I type if the chkdsk /r does not work

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
chkdsk{space}/r

did you include the space?

You are booting with an xp disk and choosing recovery console?

jf3489

jf3489

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes I did include the space and the recovery disc is in the drive. It starts and I select the command prompt and type in what you told me to type.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you say the recovery disk, what do you mean? Is this a WINDOWS XP disk, or a RECOVERY DISK supplied by the PC maker?

jf3489

jf3489

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is called restore cd, ther are 3 total, and it came with the computer, it is basically all the backup software that came on the computer when it was purchased. I assumed that this is what you were talking about when you said recovery.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, the recovery console is part of the windows xp cd

Do you know how to burn an iso? Do you have a second PC running XP?

jf3489

jf3489

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
nope, sorry i'm a rookie, can you talk me through it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, what part? I need to know what kind of CD burning software you use, or barring that, what kind of OS you have access to