Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Disk Failure after Windows Has loaded OK

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have built a new PC and after having to return a faulty Power Supply a second fault has just appeared.

The PC has been working fine for about a week just no I switched it on it booted OK and was running along happily I had been using the web for about 30 minutes, looking for something, popped away to make a coffee and when I returned I was presented with a Black Boot Screen stuck at the prompt:

Boot Disk Failure Insert System Disk and press enter

What the [bleep]??

Its as if the PC had powered off but could not restart??
To recover from this I simply turn off the PC and restart and it boots up fine??

This has happened twice to my knowledge, but has only just started to happen I.E. after fitting the new PSU the PC worked fined for about a week.

I am using the PC now and it has not happened again, I can play DOOM3 or QHAKE4 no problem.

My specs:

ASUS A8NE
ASUS Extreme N6600 PCI Express Graphics Card
512MB Kingston DDR
80GB Maxtor SATA 2.0 HDD
LG GSA DVD RW
Sansun 600Watt PSU from Ebuyer (Cheap but had some good reviews)

I have run Speedfan to check for overheating and Volts and all seems fine, apart from one reading which seems to be a missing sensor as the temp scrolls from -108c to 64c, see attached.
The voltages seem a bit array though, the + volts seem OK (+3.38v +4.95v +11.84) but the - volts are wacko (-12v = -1.75v -5v = -8.78)
I am not sure how accurate speedfan is? I have also tried ASUS Probe but seems OK, I have included screenshots of both.

What else would cause this failure? Is it something to do with the SATA controller?

Any help would be great!! Ta

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan1.JPG
  • Speedfan2.JPG
  • ASUSProbe.JPG

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. The next time the computer shuts itself off and tries to restart should result in a BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters listed.

go to www.memtest.org and make a bootable memory test disk...and run it for 2 hours or so...report any errors

do start > run > chkdsk /r /f and let that run to completion (it may ask for you to reschedule on next reboot...if it does tell it yes and restart) post any errors

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Many thanks

My next step was to run Memtest and try to test the Hard Disk, I'll post the results when known.

JA

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You can check the file system for corruption by Start > Run > chkdsk /f /r > answer Yes for a sheduled test > restart

You can test the drive mechanics and SMART status with the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Is this Drive Fitness Test for all drives regardless of manufacturer? mine are Maxtor.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
UPDATE

I have not changed the auto restart settings yet but I have tested the Memory with Memtest86+ and tested the HDD File System with CHKDISK.
Memtest ran for 10 hours with 0 Errors and CHKDISK reported no faults.
???

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Your hard drive and memory are probably OK. I can only guess what happened in the first place. Maybe there was a short power outage or brownout that confused your computer. Untill this happens again and you actually see this problem in action keep your fingers crossed.

You might keep an eye on the power supply outputs with Speedfan. It shows the power supply's outputs and CPU temp as well as the fan speeds of monitored fans. The safe operating zone for the major power supply outputs are:

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

The rest of the voltages aren't near as important.

Also, the CPU temp should be 60C or less at all times, even under maximum load.