Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp Home Installation question (novice)

• Please log in to reply

schlaf

schlaf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
My version of XP Pro has turned out to be counterfeit. The W***** who repaired my machine last year installed a pirated copy.
A few questions i hope you can help me with:
My computer appears to be working fine, if slow at times. Am I at serious risk by being unable to install updates? If so, what are the implications?

I have acquired a legitimate copy of XP Home. How easy will it be to install given that I am effectively "downgrading"? Will this cause problems?

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good "cretin's guide" to doing this? Seriously, I don't have a clue how to save all my files or anything else and I'm worried about screwing this up. Would be grateful if any advice could be couched strictly in layman's terms. Thanks very much and apologies for my naivety!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If install files for previous O/S are still on the maching when it was upgraded, just uninstall the illegal Pro O/S and it should rollback to old version where you can then install the legimate Home version. Should is the operative word here. :whistling:

Ron

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
We've had this question before and never got any feedback on what was suggested, but there is no reason that a repaior installation wouldn't work.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

The repair will wipe out the c:\windows directory, and reinstall it, asking you for your new cd key and away you go

schlaf

schlaf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to you both for taking the trouble to reply. Any response to my question re. updates? Will my computer be at serious risk until I have time to re-install or should it be ok. i doubt I'll be able to do this for a good few weeks as i have loads of work to do which I have to get done before risking everything going belly up! Incidentally, I read somewhere that it's possible to manually download updates even in my position. Is this so?
Thanks again
Schlaf