Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Idle Processes

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If it were me, I'd use that warranty. They need to open it up, fix the keyboard, and probably replace a cpu fan (since it worked originally). I would not be surprised if they also need to replace the motherboard since the USB ports have failed.

Advertisements

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
USB ports have not failed, i use a USB mouse and a USB keyboard they work fine, it is only for USB storages that they do not do anything when i plug it in. I have check USB drive on another compute and it works fine. Yup they are going to replace the keyboard i have already spoken to them about that. But how should i show them that there is a TEMP problem. Can you point me in direction of some site or documents that state what the temperature range should be, and also, what prevantative measures should i take so that more damage isnt incurred?

Sahil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
trying to find specs on the intel website is like trying to stick your elbow in your ear...

They will know that the temperature is too hot. The absolute maximum temp for a p4 is, I believe 100 C (you do not have a centrino cpu--centrino is a family of technologies, not a cpu, you have a pentium 4 mobile)

Tell them you used everest to test the temp (they will likely tell you that it is inaccurate), and concede it might not be perfect, but 75 c is way beyond any margin of error you might expect

As for the USB, ah, I did not get that the other devices were working

Start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

go to VIEW > SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES

anything there?

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
in Non- Plug and Play device, there is something called "Serial" and it has the yellow circle with the exclamtion mark in it.

Sahil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, no, that is OK....

start < run
regedit
<enter>

navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR

what is under there?

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hmmm...This has some stuff about my ipod and my USB stick. I think this is the right place, what would you have me do here?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Apple&Prod_iPod&Rev_1.62
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Apple&Prod_iPod&Rev_2.70
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Mass&Prod_Storage&Rev_0.00

Those are the folders in the USBSTOR folder, each of them has more subfolders (obviously)

Sahil

Edited by Sahil Bajaj, 31 May 2006 - 10:03 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
for the moment leave them

Step 1: Remove Hidden Devices

1. Click Start. Click Run. Type cmd and press OK.
2. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
3. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (without quotation marks) and Press Enter.
4. Type "start devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) and click press Enter.
5. Click View. Click Show hidden devices.
6. Click "+" to expand Imaging devices, Unknown devices and USB devices.
7. Are there any digital camera devices and unknown devices (including grayed out devices)? If so, please right click it and click Uninstall.

Step 2: Remove all oem*.inf files

=========================

1. Click start and click run then under the run line type in the command "cmd" (without the quotation marks)

2. In the command line, type in the following (without the quotes) and press enter after each command:

"cd \windows\inf"
"ren infcache.1 *.old"
"ren oem*.inf *.old"
"del C:\windows\setupapi.log"
"exit"

Step 3: Removing all entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Enum/USB that start with VID

==================================================================

Removing the VID entries from the registry will cause them to be redetected at restart.

CAUTION: If you have a USB keyboard or mouse, do not remove the VID entry for these devices, otherwise, Windows may not restart correctly.

1. Click Start and click Run. Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor window will open.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB.

3. Highlight and delete all the VID_.... entries.

Permissions may be set allowing the deletion of the VID_ entries by following the steps below:

a) Right-click the key to be deleted, and then click Permissions. The VID_... Permissions window will open.
b) With Everyone highlighted in the Group or User name section, select Full Control in the Permissions section.
c) Click Apply, and then click OK.

4. Turn off the computer.

Step 4: Reconnect the device to the computer system:

=============================

1. With the computer system turned off, reconnect the device to the USB port.
2. Restart the computer.
3. A New Hardware Detected window should open and reload the drivers.

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Im on step 3, and i have 3 entries for a USB keyboard. Kinda weird, 3+3=6, interesting.

So what do you think i should do, leave them all??

Sahil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if they start with VID, remove them

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
CAUTION: If you have a USB keyboard or mouse, do not remove the VID entry for these devices, otherwise, Windows may not restart correctly.

You said that first though?

Just reminding, that i do have a USB keyboard and a mouse, and my laptop keyboard doesnt work.

If i should still delete my finger is ready :whistling:

Sahil

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, sorry

you are correct

We are only interested in the storage devices anyway -- I suspect removing them will not be an issue, but why risk it

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
So direct to steap 4, or do I need to substitute in a new step of any kind?

Sahil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
after deleting, turn off the system and reconnect, and boot

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Followed all steps, but the drives are still not recognized :'(

What else can I do, besides start beating up my laptop?

Sahil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how many greyed out items were there under usb in step 1?