Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any help here?

• Please log in to reply

rocky123

rocky123

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, i bought a fairly retro game the other day because its a personal favourite on mine. On the box it says minimum system requirements windows95/98 however i have windopws xp and after i installed the game it says i have the wrong version of windows. Is there any way i can still play this game on my computer?

Thanks alot all replies appreciated

:whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have been able to get a few games made before XP came out to work in XP by using the program compatability wizard in accessories. Most of the time the early programs just crash or lockup. My cure for this is to buy a older computer to run Win 98SE on and play the games on it. It cost me about $100 for the old computer(H-P vectra 1 giger). Anopther way is to buy a HD and install Win 98 on it and put it in your computer as a slave drive.

http://www.winxpfix.com/page5.htm

http://www.bootstrik...dualboot98.html

SRX660

rocky123

rocky123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your help but it all looks really complicated to me :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what game?

rocky123

rocky123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Championship Manager 3 ! :whistling:

rocky123

rocky123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i tried using the program compatability wizard in accessories but no luck :whistling:

Any other ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
From Activewin.com:

some games like ChampionShip Manager 3, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike (the game crashes one time on two when exiting) don’t work well with the new operating system. The well known simulation game, RollerCoaster Tycoon requires you to manually install a patch so the game can work with XP, while RailRoad Tycoon II comes up with an 'Not NT compatible issue'. Caesar III is incompatible with Windows XP. EA sports titles seem to be very touchy since for many people editions below 2002 (like Fifa 2001) don’t work at all. We also regret that the excellent Starwars Pod Racer doesn't work under Windows XP

This might help though:
http://www.sigames.c...type=view&id=69

rocky123

rocky123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for researching mate

The fix is to be found on your Windows XP CD.. under \Support\Tools and install act20.exe then..

Dont understand what they mean by that though.

rocky123

rocky123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Does anyone else?

rocky123

rocky123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Screenshot of whatmessage i get when i try to play the game

Posted Image

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you try what was suggested in the link provided?

On your Windows CD in the directory provided, you need to install the Application Compatibility Toolkit, then run quickfix, and set it up as directed.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, now I am wondering if you tried it the conventional way--I managed to track down a demo and got it to run that way, though not knowing the game, I do not know if it is running perfectly.

Open the game folder, and right click and DRAG the CM3.exe file to your desktop, release the mouse button and choose CREATE SHORTCUT HERE

right click the shortcut, and choose properties.

Go to the COMPATIBILITY tab, and set it up like so

comp.GIF

Now, double click the shortcut