Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing ISP - Too many options

• Please log in to reply

sammgo

sammgo

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

I'm going with a new ISP and I'm confused now that I have a little more choice. I've always gone with the big dealers (Here in Ontario, Canada - Bell, Cogeco). But now I've discovered these "distributors" of DSL.

FYI - I use the internet for the following things:
1. Email
2. Surfing
3. Small home business, I run a free website and I have to put orders in online (It's Avon, nothing fancy)
4. Downloading - Music, Games, Software etc.

No networking, no sharing

These companies have lots of options, could someone please help me out with the following terms:

1. Download/Upload CAPs ? Does it really matter? I'm not even sure what the means....how that translates to my daily internet use? ie: Personal DSL with 20Gig of Bandwidth, Other ones are for 100Gig of bandwidth. Is that for the month?

Thanks a lot, I hope it's not too confusing.

Advertisements

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

1. Download/Upload CAPs ? Does it really matter? I'm not even sure what the means....how that translates to my daily internet use? ie: Personal DSL with 20Gig of Bandwidth, Other ones are for 100Gig of bandwidth. Is that for the month?

Hello sammgo,

Considering the quote above and the decriptions of what you use the internet for, 20GB of monthly downloads should be just enough for you.

However, since you download music, games and software etc, I would recommend that you choose an ISP that will give you more than say 20-30GB of monthly downloads.

Try and go for an ISP with a high speed line (eg. 2MB/sec connection) and a monthly download limit of around 20-30GB

Remember, the price will reflect on the speed and download limit of the ISP offer.

Here in the UK, some ISP's offer Unlimited monthly downloads meaning download as much as you want. :whistling:

Hope this helps

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks BARROS,

There seems to be a lot of options to consider, I think I'd rather go for the higher bandwidth then. Thanks for explaining, I wasn't too sure.

I'm also considering geting VOIP as well, I have a cell phone anyways.....

Samm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i can't stand ISP's that put a download cap on the account...i always prefer to go for unlimited DL (heck unlimited everything) because i don't know how much i'm planning on dling in a given month...if there's a serious windows update out...and you're on the tail end of your cap limit...well...then y ou can't get that update (like a service pack..)...if you've got the option for a fast line with unlimited usage...i'd choose that over something with a cap any day......of course....DLing 20 gigs in a month...is pretty aggressive....i just don't like having a set llimitation

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks dsenette,

I'm getting quite frustrated with all of this, I mean some offer 100gig limit, saying that's basically unlimited....but....there's always a butt....

anyways, thanks again for the assistance. Next task: Modem shopping/renting.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Next task: Modem shopping/renting.

Most ISP's provide the modem when you join with them.

If this is not the case then what type of modem are you looking for (internal or external)

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Also,

I'm also considering geting VOIP as well

Why not just download Skype (Which is free, only unless you want a premium account)

http://www.skype.com/

------->

It is good for quick calls, long calls, very good quality, no pauses when talking to each other.

All you need is a microphone and speakers (and an internet connection)

I have used it a few times and it worked well, even when I had dial-up.

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Not everyone I talk to has internet, I would get rid of my landline and use the cell phone for 911. I'm just tired of giving so much money to the phone company.

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry....

cont.

The ones I have been looking at seem to provide one for sale or rent or rent to own. It doesn't really matter to me, I'd just like to be with someone who is going to support my wireless as well. Which I think I found.
I have a laptop for work, so I need that to definilty work all the time when I'm using it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The ones I have been looking at seem to provide one for sale or rent or rent to own. It doesn't really matter to me, I'd just like to be with someone who is going to support my wireless as well. Which I think I found.
I have a laptop for work, so I need that to definilty work all the time when I'm using it.

alot of dsl modems are now coming with wireless routers built in...if you're planning on having multiple computers in the house...it's best to get the modem's that come with a router built in (that way you don't have to buy a router seperately....though that's perfectly fine to do as well)