Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Green lines on top of my screen, puter freezing

• Please log in to reply

sandisman

sandisman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
About a year or so ago I had a friend try to network two of my puters together. Well it went very unsuccessful and he took the card out and I haven't seen or spoke to him since. This puter is the one he installed it on and it would just freeze, crash lock up, etc. So I just didn't use it. Well the other puter went kaput big time and is in the shop, so I am trying to figure out what is wrong with this one. I am a puter newbie but can find my way around pretty easily if you just tell what info you need I can post it back. I think it somehow affected my video card, it will work for a while then freeze with green lines up top. Right now I have my graphics set to low(or whatever it is at the end of the slider, not full) and so far so good, but the pictures and such are funky now. Please please help me.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
turn off the computer > unplug it from the wall > ground yourself on the case and make sure that the video card is seated properly (if this is an onboard card...please forget i said that)..then go to the manufacturer's website (if this is a prebuilt machine like a dell or hp go to the dell or hp site...if not go to the manufacturer of the video card) and download the newest drivers for your video card...install and reboot

sandisman

sandisman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you, however I have tried 4 times unsuccessfully to do this. Everytime I get to about 50-60 percent and the green lines come up and the puter freezes. I have a 3DForce2 MX Series, NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200/400 video card, running windows 98. Can anyone download the drivers for this and send it to me via email? I am on dial up, which doesn't help. This would greatly help me. I appreciate it.
edited out email for security...unless you like spam don't post your email on an open forum