Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting two PC's directly

• Please log in to reply

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi,
I have computer with a 100Mbps LAN Card and a Laptop with a 1000Mbps LAN card. I would like to connect these two without a hub. How should I do it? I know that i have to use a crossover cable but what is the pinout diagram. The proble is that the laptop is a 100Mbps card. What do i do?

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Hi,
I have computer with a 100Mbps LAN Card and a Laptop with a 1000Mbps LAN card. The proble is that the laptop is a 100Mbps card. What do i do?

Please be more exact about your problem.

Please be as specific as possible in your posts. this will get you better and more replies.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the difference in transfer speed is irrelevant...as long as it's an rj45 connector that's punched correctly then you're fine....are you wanting to make your own crossover? they do sell them at computer supply shops. (also...if you search "crossover" and "pin out" on google might give you something...not like i tried it or anything :whistling: )

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Just buy a crossover cable and be done with it.

GENERIC 10X5-83110 10 FT Cat 5E (Crossover) Gray

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
This one has nice diagrams to go along with. The first time I did a crossover cable all I had was a text saying what colours went where :whistling:

http://resource.godps.com/cat5.htm

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hey vaillant,noticed the diagram looks good but...
when i did cat5 licence training the way back when the international standard colour code we use is
bn,bn-w,or.bl-w.bl,or-w,gn,gn-wh looking at flat side
brown to right,a crossover swaps the green pair with or pair

Edited by HaraldR, 02 June 2006 - 05:33 AM.

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
excellent diagram dude. I still have a small qestion though. Does the diagram apply for a Gigibit Ethernet card as well (1000BaseT). i know for a fact that it works flawlessly for a 100BaseT Normal LAN card.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the transfer speed is irrelevant....as long as the ends are punched correctly that's all that matters....the cabeling has NO effect on transfer rate (except when talking about cross talk or attenuation...which is irrelevant in this situation)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm am totally confused here, but if I wanted to do the PC to Laptop connectiom, I would want to know what make card the laptop is using then buy the cable for it with the correct ethernet connector (standard) for the PC. After that, both computers will have to be set up to "talk" to each other. An aside: Wonder if someone ever set up the Remote function on two or more PCs within their own household and used that? :whistling:

Sorry yo butt in here.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I'm am totally confused here, but if I wanted to do the PC to Laptop connectiom, I would want to know what make card the laptop is using then buy the cable for it with the correct ethernet connector (standard) for the PC.

i just want to make this clear one more time (the third time for this thread the millionth time in a lifetime)....an ethernet card talks on ethernet cable....doesn't matter if it's a realteck or a broadcom...doesn't matter if it's a 10BASET or 100BaseT or 1000BaseT....it's irrellevant...as long as it's got 4 of the 6 pairs punched correctly on both ends....then it will work...regardles of make, model, transfer speed, color, size, weight, flavor, or any other variable about the ethernet card...the cable is a cable...if it's classified as ethernet...and it's punched correctly (however you want that to be...crossover...rollover...straightthrough..whatever) on both ends into an rj45 connector....then it will work as a cable..the rest is a software configuration...that's it..

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I understood all that long before I started on this forum and there was no need to repeat it. I just wondered why a cable was being made when they are available commercially if you have the correct make of the laptop's LAN card. Rest was not relevant and an aside.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
MP and everyone else in the thread...my little rant wasn't directed at any one in particular.....just something i wanted to make sure was clear to anyone who happens to read this thng...i've come across a MULTITUDE of people who don't understand that concept