Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print preview looks good. Print output is BAD

• Please log in to reply

rickblee

rickblee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I print from a web site or when I cut and paste from a web site into a Word Document. The letters and spacing turn all irregular. Some letters are stretched across two or three others. Some letters are move a couple of spaces to the right or left. In the end the document is mostly un readable.

All this is even though it looks perfect in print preview.

If I save my document to a memory stick or email it to someone else to print (even on the same shared printer) it turns out fine.

This problem may not exist if I compose and print an original document.

Is this a kerning issue? What can I do to fix it? I've already reinstalled the print driver for my computer. It changed nothing.

rickblee

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, after selecting the text and copying, do you open Word, click edit, paste special, unformatted text?

rickblee

rickblee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Using Paste Special is a good work around. It will come in handy until I figure out how to get rid of the problem permanently.

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Odd if others can use the same printer with a document from your PC

Click file, page set up to see what the margins are, another thing when you have a moment is to check relevant settings on your PC against those of the PC's which print properly

rickblee

rickblee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It seems th problem has to be somewhere in my computer settings, not with the printer. What folder/file/s in my computer determines how my computer interprets or handles reading or printing web pages?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could check, tools, internet options, advanced to remove the tick for automatic image resizing, put the dot in print background images and colour, click apply, restart IE

Open Word, click help, click detect and repair, tick restore shortcuts

Run through this to check the system files and other things

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor