Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

cstar_17

cstar_17

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a Dell XPS Generation 5.

Pentium D 3.2 Ghz
2 GB RAM
Radeon X850 Platinum
2 160 GB Hardrives

Should I try to replace my motherboard and go SLi compatiable? I can play most games now on high settings just wondering if should save for new computer or upgrade this one. Do dells have upgradablitily issues might also be another possible sang. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Although all the rich people will say SLI SLI SLI. I personally (especially with DX10 coming out) think you don't need to upgrade at all right now. Most Dell's have upgradability issues but I have a feeling the XPS won't considering it's pretty much made for gamers, but before upgrading, make sure 100% that it will work.

As of now, wait. Wait for DX10 and Vista and upgrade then. I think upgrading to SLI is a waste considering they make video cards that are powerful enough to run most games on highest settings.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SLi itself is an ineffective upgrade for a number of reasons.